Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What My Mother Taught Me



My mother, Anna, will be 78 this year. She lived through the 2nd World War and married my father, Geoffrey in 1959. She came from a once wealthy family whose fortunes tumbled after my maternal grandfather left the family in Hong Kong.She is the eldest in the Wen family of 4 sisters and 1 brother and all who are residing in Singapore.
She is very thrifty on herself but doted on us 2 sons and although her wealth came through shrewd property acquisitions and stock market picks over the last 25 years, she never splurged on herself like taking expensive holidays overseas. When the time came for us 2 sons to enjoy some overseas holidays, she readily gave with love.
A personal assistant in the Ministry of Health for over 30 years, she still keeps in touch with many doctors who are active in the Ministry or who have left. A personal friend was the famous pathologist Dr. Chao Sie Ching who passed away in 2000.

So what did my Mum teach me ?
1. Don' sweat the small stuff.
2. A dollar saved is a dollar earned
3. Help a friend in Need

Here's to you Mum

No comments: