Sunday, October 24, 2010

Now is the Time


My trusty Kayano 16s 
My 'office' gear


Its exactly 6 weeks till the Standard Chartered Marathon, and I have been training intermittently for the last 2 - 3 months. This post is a timely reminder to me to get going and be serious about the runup for the 5th full marathon I am attempting. The target I will set for myself is 4 hours 45 minutes which broken down to 2 half marathons (of 21 k each) is 2 hours 22 minutes. As the famous ultramarathoner Dean Karnazes put it into perspective during his 100 miler (consecutive) :

"you run the firs half with your legs, the second half with your mind". 

My ultramarathon running friends, Jane Peng and Thaddeus Lawrence have another similar quote :

"your run first with your legs, then you run with your mind, finally you run with your heart"

I will be aiming to hit  around 60 km to 70 km per week in training so, I plan to be running almost daily, with the odd rest day, and I plan to hit the road even when I am overseas travelling in Europe (in late November) and Thailand (mid November). So its no rest for the wicked I guess. 

Time is of the essence, I hope that by using the running techniques like Pose running, and landing on the midsection,  I can improve my running speed, and distance.

4 hours 45 minutes - the goal for 42.195 km on 5th December 2010.          





No comments: