Saturday, August 31, 2019

Soto Ayam (Chicken Noodle Soup Malay Style) 5 Star


Sardine Puff ; A delight to eat at $1.50 each 


Best Tasting Soto Ayam ; $ 5.00 per bowl 

Singapore is a culinary paradise, we have so many good cuisine all in one 800 square kilometre of island. 

Today, I decided to try more of the tasty treats along Killiney Road, so I ventured to have breakfast at the Killiney Curry Puff shop along what else, Killiney road. I went there around 10.20 am and was pleasantly surprised that the shop had just opened and the curry puffs were freshly made.

Soto Ayam 

I ordered one for starters and bought home 2 for the young men at home. I also ventured to try the Soto Ayam (chicken) which is basically a noodle chicken broth with fried shallots, fresh bean sprouts, cut spring onions and some deep fried crispy chilli ( I decided to forgo too much of that and removed most of it).

Much to my delight, the Soto Ayam is the best I have tasted in a long while. The chicken stock is rich (read : it will raise your cholesterol levels so be warned !) and very tasty.  The shredded chicken is probably roasted first and then the chicken is cut into strips. The yellow noodles are springy and soft.

All in all, a superb dish for $5.00.

Killiney Curry Puff (Sardine).

This must be good, I reckoned, as the big sign outside advertised Killiney Curry Puff and not Nasi Padang or Nasi Kandar like so many other Malay restaurants. 

One bite into the savoury puff and I knew it was a great snack. The exterior pastry is not flaky with butter like the traditional curry puffs, it is more firm, much like the spongy savoury taste of a prata (made from bread flour).

The sardine inside was compact (ha ha packed like sardines I can almost hear you say) and with some chilli mixed into the paste. No potato and other stuff mixed inside ; that is the reason why it is so satisfying. 

The whole puff took just 30 seconds to wolf down but boy it is worth its $ 1.50. 

Try these dishes if you happen to be around Killiney Road :

Killiney Road Curry Puff
93 Killiney Road (shophouse)
Singapore 239536.



No comments: