Sunday, August 16, 2026

Tong Shian Frog Porridge Chinatown - So Good.

 



I recently ate one of my all time Singapore created foods at the Kheong Saik Coffeeshop alongside Kheong Saik street in Chinatown.

For 10.50 SGD, I get a claypot of steaming boiled frog in black sauce, with ginger and garlic.

Together with porridge, fired dough fritters or You Tiao, this forms my essential breakfast at least once a month.

It is really something of a treat and not expensive too.

Frog or Tian Ju (padi chicken) is reared in farms in Malaysia and then shipped to Singapore. It is a delicacy of the Chinese citizenry in both Singapore and Malaysia.

One day when i get around it, I must do a piece on my all time top 10 or 20 Singaporean food dishes. That will take some time as there is always a debate within my mind and my choices changes on my mood, the weather sometimes and also whether I am mildly hungry or very hungry.

Tong Shian Porridge
265 New Birdge Road (junction with Kheong Siak Street)
S'pore 088745

(serves all kinds of porridge from claypots and some other Chinese cuisine)

Food : 5 / 5
Ambience : 3 / 5 (its by the roadside, so bear with the fumes if cars pass by)
Value  : 5 / 5
Service : 4 / 5 (no fuss, prompt if you go in the mornings). 

Seize the Day. 



No comments:

Tong Shian Frog Porridge Chinatown - So Good.

  I recently ate one of my all time Singapore created foods at the Kheong Saik Coffeeshop alongside Kheong Saik street in Chinatown. For 10....