Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Its not How Fast You Run But How You Finish Your Race


The picture above says it all, the face of a marathoner who has stayed the course and finished the race.For him the grimace is probably temporary but the sense of accomplishment is for his to cherish for as long as he lives.

I am trying,without much success, to do the following after my injury :

a) run on a regular basis
b) stay uninjured
c) stay motivated to continue running and finish as many more marathons as I can

The tricky part is finding the time,committment and perserverence to continue after the ITB (Illiotibial Band) injury and keeping my legs strong and supple. As a middle aged runner, each year presents a different challenge than when I was younger - say when I was in my teens,twenties and even thirties. The physiological makeup of a human being changes as he ages and it is telling.

Recovery rates are fasr slower,flexibility and balance are not as good.I can go on but its better to focus on the positives rather than the negatives.

To date, my 5 kms are on track, but I probably need to up my mileage to about 10 km per run and 50 km per week, about 5 runs of 10km per week by April if I am to meet my year end target of running 1 more full marathon.

Wish me Luck !

No comments: