Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Wolves - My Boyhood Team


Wolverhampton Wanderers

I'll let in on a secret, I used to support Wolverhampton Wanderers during my childhood days in the 70s and up till the 80s. They were then a Division 1 team (before Premiership and the BPL,EPL stuff) and the apart from the nice name and gold coloured shirts which they wore, I had no other reasons for supporting them. They had several illustrious players in their team, notably John Richards (striker in 70s), Willie Carr (Scottish midfielder in 70s),Andy Gray (scored the winner in the 1980 League final against Aston Villa) and Steve Bull (England striker in 80s and 90s).

I had written a post earlier that too many people follow mindlessly sports on TV with out a given purpose in their lives - football is the opiate (opium) of the masses for the English public ; their very lives are so full of drudgery and repetitiveness that the only thing to look forward in their lives to is their Saturday afternoon visit to the pub to get drunk, watch their hometown heroes play, sometimes squabble over the moves and scoring and go home either elated,indifferent or sad.

Furthermore many of these players earn 100 to 1000 times more than the average fan so, the great injustice is that the people who make it happen for the clubs - by watching the games week in and week out - end up with so little to show for it ; in terms of the silverware which 80% of the other clubs win, apart from the Big 4 ; it is once in a blue moon that a Tottenham or Everton win say the FA Cup ; almost never the Championship.

Anyway, now that the Wolves are in the top flight, I check their results every Sunday morning ; its a habit I have been doing since my boyhood days. I am not a crazy fan or even a decent fan but its a romantic notion of keeping to things or practices one has been doing since young.

I will have in another post the days I went to visit Molineux, the home of the Wolves in Wolverhampton, midlands of England.

1 comment:

Crow said...

how i wish u told me ur a wolves fan...during my time at ken shin kai....but its not too late...maybe one day well meet up 4 a cup of coffee...my treat...btw i`m an Albirex niigata fan for a bout 5 years already...i an official fan club member for quite some time....every new season i tend to by all their jersey...our home ground is the big swan stadium at Niigata prefecture in Japan with a 45 000 capacity...the feeder side home stadium is at jurong east