Sunday, August 22, 2010

Passing the Values from One Generation to Another


Andrew and I

When I was young,I was self centered and egotisitical,expecting to reap the most material benefits from the world. Now that I am in my 40s and with 2 teenage children, I have encountered a paradigm shift whereby material things do not matter as much. This is because I have come to realise that life is fragile and people indeed have spiritual and compassionate sides to their lives which they should accept and discover more.

So what has this got to do with the passing of values to the next generation, well, one can pass one money to the next generation but, far more than that, I think it is my purpose in life to teach the next generation, my children and their children, the values which I have been taught by my father and mother.

1. Honour your parents (one of the 10 commandments in the Bible)
2. Work hard for your place in society. Nothing comes for free or on a silver platter
3. Be true to your word and honest in your dealings
4. Stand up for your country, family and friends
5. Respect for your colleagues, business associates and people you come across everyday.
6. Thrift, Generosity, Tenacity and Resilience are learned and earned

A passage from the Bible is very apt.Proverbs 22:6 "Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will never stray from it".

No comments: