Saturday, April 9, 2011

No One is here by Chance

       Recently I visited my old Junior College, St Andrew's Junior College which is situated at Potong Pasir Ave 1 and I was impressed by the strides it has taken to improve itself over the last 30 years to be one of the top 10 colleges in Singapore. Yes, its been 31 years since I left the college and I do feel somewhat 'past it' physically but emotionally, the bonds with my alma mater are still strong. The previous campus at Malan Road (off Alexandra Road) had its share of criticisms ; it was too colourful to reflect a place of higher learning, too open (all classrooms in 1 block had only 3 walls so during the rains, we had rainwater beating in),and it had a design of a kindergarten or playschool. I enjoyed my time as a teenage student then and I hope my son Noel, now that he is enrolled in SAJC, does too.





     Our principal, Bishop John Tan has long since retired,but he was an excellent leader and an upright Christian then and now. He was a no nonsense person in college and my wife and I were honored to have him officiate our wedding in St. Andrew's Cathedral on 22nd May 1993 - some 18 years ago. The vice-principal, Mr. Raymond Ong was strict too though I remember he had a very playful sense of humour with the students. Sadly, he passed on about 9 years ago at a relatively early age of 52.

At the entrance of the foyer of the college



     I was in the second batch of  SAJC students, way back then 1979- 80 and we had the entire brand new campus to ourselves. The teachers were very dedicated, and wanting to make a name for the college, the student cohort worked and played hard to establish it right from the very beginning. The motto then was "Up and On' but now, the college has its own called " No One is Here by Chance", reflecting the hard efforts every student has to put in to be accepted into the college. There are many past 'Saints' who have contributed tremendously to the school and college, putting in their valuable time, expertise and money to further build up the school and college's legacy.



The School and College's Track and Field

    My late father, Geoffrey Abisheganaden, was the Chairman of the Board of Governors of St. Andrew's Junior College for 13 years and his love and dedication was repaid when the college sent a Guard of Honour made up of prefects to my father's funeral at the St. Andrew's Cathedral on 22nd Sept 2010.

    May the college move from strength to strength in the years to come.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

At that period of time i was the bio lab technician and sometime do relief teaching in bio

Unknown said...

I was in the pioneer batch. Never thought that the college was too colourful; vibrant and childlike, yes. Not childish at all.