Sunday, August 5, 2012

Do we subconciously set 'roadblocks' to our success ?




       Today at around 5pm Singapore time (London time 10am), Team Singapore's Men's Table Tennis was taking on China for a spot in the Men's Team Semi-Finals. True, mighty China are world champions, and Singapore are lowly ranked, perhaps in the top 10.

        I was having a drink before the start of my Karate class at the Community Centre's Canteen. So my friend and I were chatting about the week ahead, and I noticed that the TV was switched on the the Olympics channel, namely the Men's table tennis action. A little boy, of age 7 or 8 was rooting loudly for Singapore, shouting  "C'mon Singapore, you can do it !"  I was pleased that the youngest generations of our citizens are so solidly patriotic and behind our team (even though they were foreign born) even up against the toughest opponents in the world.  

       Much to my surprise, a man next to him, his father I presume, admonished him by saying " Ah yah, they have no chance, lah, that is China they are playing, sure lose !!"   For the record, Singapore lost 3 - 0. But the little boy's pure and outspoken cheering was refreshing, as it was a NEVER SAY DIE attitude. 

       I was quite taken aback at this attitude, but decided to keep mum. It just brings to me the question, does a life experienced with joys and setbacks, and reality, keeping us from having a dream ? Can't we beat mighty China in table tennis ? Why are we adults so negative about Singapore being able to   make it to the top of the sporting scene worldwide ? 

     Do we SUBCONCIOUSLY drive ourselves AND OUR CHILDREN to MEDIOCRE  and SUBPAR PERFORMANCE because WE THINK WE CAN'T DO IT, THEREFORE WE DON'T OR WE LOSE IN THE MIND GAME  EVEN BEFORE THE ACTUAL GAME STARTS ?   

      Away with the defeatist mentality, my friends !!   WIN !    You will be shocked at the results. 

No comments: