Thursday, August 30, 2012

The First Rock Song



     This was the first rock song which captured my attention. I was all of 13 or14 at that time, and the year was 1975.  My family, particularly my father had only played the classics, his many operas and some Christian music. His reasoning was that he wanted his children to listen to 'cultured " (read Western classical) music and had no time or interest in the then 60s or early 70s rock and pop music of the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, the Doors, Queen, Beatles and the like. He likened that music to Satanic or people with hedonistic interests.

     As a young and rebellious teenager, I remember my good friend Andrew Lee, telling me that if I paid him 3 or 4 dollars, I could buy a cassette tape of the 70s 'pop' music. So I did, and the first album I proudly owned was Elton John's Rock of the Westies.

    It was glorious, ear candy to me. I was transformed into the '70s music fan. The top song I recall was this one, called Grow some Funk of your Own. It should have been titled (to Elton)
"Grow some Hair of your Own !'

    

No comments: