Sunday, May 12, 2013

Anna Abisheganaden 1930 - 2011 Happy Mother's Day Part II



                                                My Mum with My Dad on the Queen Elizabeth II in 2002             


My mother seldom took holidays with my father when she retired in 1999, she much preferred to spend the time with my son, her first grandchild, Noel Hao Ren, when he came along in 1994. Both my father Geoffrey and her doted on him and practically everyday, they were at our house, playing and entertaining him for hours on end. 

Noel was very fortunate to given all that attention. I remember she was given a short holiday to Sydney in 1997, as part of her retirement benefit, from the Civil Service. She was really thrilled to spend some time sightseeing. I remember that she came back with all these souvenirs and had lots of souvenirs for Noel and Andrew. 

In 2002, she and my father, Geoffrey took the 7 day cruise aboard the grand Queen Elizabeth II cuise ship from Hong Kong down to Singapore, stopping at Da Nang in Vientam. Those were heady days for her, as she was entertained at the Captain's table, and the picture above was taken at the stairwell. Feasting on international cuisine, lounging by the pool deck, and having her hair done by some English hairdressers, were all rewards for her hard yet immensely satisfying life. She was indeed very blessed.                 

In 2003, we went as a family for a couple of overseas trips to  Bintan Indonesia, as well as for my cousin Peter's wedding in Kuala Lumpur. I still have fond memories of those trips with them.   
  
With her grandson, Andrew Hao Jie. 2008
      Anna was a stalwart at the Singapore Swimming Club, spending as much as 6 days a week there, after work from 1974 till 2007, almost 30 years !  She indulged in many activities, ranging from swimming, martial arts (Kong Chian), badminton - she was a pretty decent doubles player, aerobics , tennis and gym member. I recall once, when I had just started working in 1989,my then boss, Terry and another manager, Roy were invited by me to the club. They saw my Mum playing with another person and accepted the offer to a 'best of 5 sets' match. They promptly lost all 3 sets, and even going down 15 - 0 to my Mum and her partner ! She was a real firebrand then.  Swimming was also her love, and I guess her active and healthy lifestyle must have rubbed on to me, as I am rather a fitness nut, for over 13 years now.  






                      With me at the Singapore Cricket Club in 2010

      As the eldest sister in her family, she was like the matriach, dispensing  family advice to her younger sisters and brothers, though many a times, she did not want us to know the content of the issues - there were some like in all families. When we were little, I was the Indian Chief and getting into all sorts of trouble, so she would dispense the ruler or the cane on my thick hide ! My brother who was always my accomplice, would then, upon seeing me 'get it good" and all our boyhood nonsense would be under control. I had a fantastic carefree childhood, with great memories of us catching spiders, fighting with the kampong boys, playing football with the neighbours, flying kites, disturbing my mum when she was home cooking, doing all the carefree things of the 60s and 70s which are so alien to todays' computer and handphone gadget obsessed youth. 

   We flew kites, made glass string, caught and fought our spiders, played football in the concrete pitch next to our bungalow house of the Methodist Girls School (MGS), climbed trees to pluck some rambutans, played with our 3 mongrel dogs. We bought comics and SHOOT magazine to catch up with the then English football, some 2 weeks late ! All this after primay school in our heyday with nary a care fore homework, CA1, SA1 and SA2, Prelims, and major exams were unheard of then. My mother would make her way to the Swimming Club and I would catch a ride with my father's chief clerk in his car most days for swimming practically 4 - 5 evenings after school around 4pm , with a rest only on Wednesdays and Saturdays.     




With her Granddaughter Hannah during Chinese New Year 2005 

        My parents, were doting grandparents, and great parents right the end of their lives.  I do owe my parents a great deal in life, and we must never forget the sacrifices they made for us. Our parents set a roadmap for us children to follow and behave in a manner befitting the family name. 

      So this Mother's Day, I salute my Mother Anna Abisheganaden. Love, your Son. 

1 comment: