Tuesday, June 27, 2017

My very first marathon in 2003 - what started it ??


The Lat (Malaysian Cartoonist) Motif on the Front of the First Marathon Medal 

          I am one of those weird guys who can readily say that "I gave up golf to run to marathons". Its like the activities are being done in life in reverse order. Hence, the quaint quote above. 

         When I graduated from the University (NUS) in the late '80s, like most of my cohort and friends, I first started working for a multi-national company (for almost 7 years) and then started my own family (in 1994) and subsequently my own business. The trend then in the heady '90s, everyone or most everyone I knew had some interest in the sport of golf, which though it was viewed as an 'old man's sport' it suddenly became transformed and hip when the phenomenon Tiger Woods,who was in his early 20s. burst into the scene in the mid '90s. Overnight golf was 'cool' and there were literally thousands of new converts converging to the many newly build driving ranges and whacking their balls with unmatched beginner zeal.  
        So there I was with my full Scorpion set, Lynx driver and membership to the SAFRA Resort and Golf Club and I was spending time with my then partners at the driving range, and golf greens all over the region. 

        I vividly remember my very first game more than 20 years ago when I had been adept at using my 7 iron (ha ha!) and played my first game of 18 holes at the Thailand Panya Park just on the outskirts of Bangkok.I had to swing my first ever club in front of almost 20 people, our flight of 4 plus 5 caddies and another flight of almost 10 people waiting for us to finish. I  almost died of stagefright !!!  The thought of missing the ball completely and experiencing a "whish !" airstroke would have made me die of embarrassment ! Very fortunately I managed to hit 150 yards or so, so I had 'beginners luck' that day ! 

        Fast forward to around the year 2000, and I had played close to 100 games on the greens in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, USA and Australia. I was fed up with the following 3 aspects of the game :

a) Up and down unpredictability of my game even though I had the services of a pro for
    several months. Some days I played brilliantly and others I was a total zero.

b) The full 18 holes normally took 4 hours or so, and the preparation and coordination with  flight mates especially after work - which was impossible for working types meant that I would have to sacrifice at least half a day or more (Saturday) on weekends meant precious time away from my young boys then, so it was not practical.      

c) The myriad of equipment I had to keep in my car boot which was never ending, ranging  from clubs, shoes, attire, sunscreen, caps, tees, balls and the sunglasses. 

        After 10 odd years of the game and obtaining my PC and handicap of 24, I decided to look for alternative sports which was more in line with my limited time, and outdoor interests. So, I thought long and hard and said, "what about training for a marathon ?". 

       So in late 2000, I put down my clubs and started running. I was a pretty good runner in my school days, one could say a 'late bloomer'. I searched around for a good motivator and chanced upon the fabulous magazine called Runners World. It was a treasure trove of information providing fantastic tips such as choosing the type of pronator I was (I am a supinator), the type of shoes I would ultimately choose (for me I am totally satisfied with the BEST EVER SHOE for me, the ASICS Kayano ; I have 20 odd pairs over the years). 

       So there I was, starting from late 2000 and I was religiously training, waking up early mornings at 4.30 am (No joke it was a hobby which turned into a passion) and I first started with 5 km, then 10km and then longer runs of 14 km. Over the course of almost 2 years I had improved my body conditioning and in the process lost about 8 - 9 kg ; so by the time I was ready for my first marathon in June 2003, I must have weighed about a skinny (by my overweight standards) 67 kg. 

    The time management factor was excellent for me. I would wake up at 4.30 or 4.45am around 4 times on weekdays, put on my running shoes, and head out the door by 5.00 am. I would drive to the nearby Nassim Road and Dalvey Estate Road and would register runs of distances of 4 km (Nassim loop) or 5 km (Dalvey Estate Loop). I would be back by 7.00 am just in time for breakfast, and my wife and kids would be just awakening. 

     The endorphin rush (natural body's chemicals which give a person who has done long duration exercises) to my body is the best natural effect I could possibly get. The colours of the sky and things all around me seemed so vibrant, I was in a 'purple patch' kind of mood where everything including the meaning of life seemed quite understandable. This endorphin rush would last me the whole day and until the next, if I ran for at least 10 kms.
     
      The only downside, was that I was 'running on empty' or running on an empty stomach so early and pushing my body that I ran the risk of gastricitis. Fortunately the relaxing effect and the endorphin rush ensured that I had practically zero sleep, or stress related illnesses ever since I took up competitive running.  

     Running for me was and still is to me - life -. 

     In early 2003, after running about 3 half marathons and 2 10 kms, I decided to try for my first full marathon. It was the Penang Bridge Marathon and organised by the then sponsor New Straits Times.

     Would I be able to complete it ? Was my training sufficient, would I fall injured ?

     




  

  

No comments: