Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Da Shi Jia Big Prawn Noodle Just Hits the Right Notes



My bill came to just under $14 dollars for a big bowl of prawn noodles and Lime Juice with 
Plum


Today I ventured along Killiney Road and I found this gem of a foodplace, its signboard is in Chinese but it reads Da Shi Jia Da Da Xia Mian or Big Eating House Big Big Prawn Noodles.

Run by a young and enterprising couple in their late 20s, the coffeshop located at 89 Kiliney Road is hard to miss. Just park you car at the Killiney Court Hotel and then walk the rest of the way. It is along the second block of shophouses and it is advisable to go before noon if you do not want to stand and wait for a table.


The coffeeshop seats about 30 maximum so its advisable to go either before 12 or after 1.30 if you want to avoid the crowds of office workers on weekdays.  

There are 3 sizes on offer for the Prawn Noodle and the idiot proof menu shows anyone how to order ; The small size one costs S$ 6.80, the mid range one (I ordered that) ,which is good enough as a main dish for 1 person, costs $ 9.80 and the super big prawns noodle costs $13.80.

When my bowl came, it had 3 partly shelled prawns, a generous serving (maybe 4 - 5 pieces) of pork loin, fried shallots, some kang kong vegetable and yello noodels swimming in a thick and very tasty broth. (The broth must have been cooked for several hours with prawn heads thrown in to give that extra flavour).  

There are 2 types of noodles, the wet soupy one, or the dry one. I opted for the wet soupy one and I can safely say, that ever since I came here to eat about 2 months ago, each visit has been VERY SATISFYING for my craving for soupy dishes.

The waxy paper at the side of the table is good to place the discarded prawn shells once you have deshelled them. I also liberally use the chilli powder and add that to the soup.

My review (as far as prawn noodles go)

Food :  4.8 / 5

Really hits the spot for me, just nice taste, broth is very flavourful and not with much MSG.
The yellow rice noodles (Sit Mee as they are called) is nice and springy - almost Al Dente style. The prawns are big and fresh, red and juicy to the bite. The pork loin is thick and cut bite sized, and the soup is perfect ; I have not tried many others which hit the right notes with me so far this year.

Ambience : 3.8 / 5

Go early, and take your time to try the other side dishes like Ngoh Hiang (Pork and Prawn Fried  Dumplings). Its so good its sinful. The place is clean and airy, with the kitchen area conveniently sealed off with strong exhaust ducting out to the back so the dining area is airy and relatively cool.

Price         :  4.2  / 5 

For the quality of the food, its well worth 2 bowls anywhere else ; most prawn noodles sell for $5 or so at the food centres.

Service    : 4. 2 / 5

Prompt, and friendly, there are more than enough staff to attend to you, especially during the off peak times when I do go and get my fix.

Overall :  4.25 / 5  ;  Very Satisfying for Noodle Soup 

Will I visit again ?  Yes Definately 


Da Shi Jia Da Da Xia Mian
89 Killiney Road (Shophouse located in the middle block)
Singapore 239534

Nearest MRT : Somerset (10 minutes approx. walk to the place). 




No comments: