Thursday, September 3, 2020

September Musings - My 2020 Resolutions and How I am Doing so Far ; 3 quarters of the year gone.

The year 2020 is 3 / 4 over. It has been super - extraordinarily overshadowed by the COVID - 19 Pandemic, so much so that most of our lives have been taken over by new ways of doing business, health monitoring, social norms, dining directives, massive travel restrictions and this whole new concept of Contact Tracing which in theory is an affront to citizen's right to privacy of movement and so on. 

I wont dwell on the current elephant in the room, as it is already being discussed on every coffeshop corner, restaurants, Whataspp and whatever social media portals ad nauseum.

This September, I am going to review my own goals which I set at the beginning of 2020 and see whether I am on track or hopelessles way off track. Most of the below resolutions are business related, so it is quite satisfying to see I am hitting most of my resolution goals.

1. Say 'No' more effectively.  

I am 80% there. Yes means yes to an appointment, and it must be worth both my and my agreed other person's time. If I have to cancel an appointment, I do so and explain and apologise for my oversight. 

2. Be on Time 

A big 100% 'Yes'. This goes hand in hand with resolution 1 above. I try not to please too many people because in the end, the situation displeases everyone especially me. So limit my appointments to 2 a day. Estimate the time to travel, and give myself an additional 15 minutes more beforehand. It gives so much more ease to everyone concerned. 

3.Honor what I say

This is being mindful and shutting up ever so often. If I have nothing of value to add to the conversation, I will not say much and only speak when I can back up my committment with action. Else I shut up. 

4. Lose 3 kg and Keep it There

I am happy to say I am on my way there. At the mid point of this year, I was a heavy 75 kg. Now I am easily 73 kg. Must perpetually remind myself that to lose weight is a privilege.

5. Manage Money Better

I am cutting out the excesses (food, clothes, new stuff) in my life. My wallet feels so much less pressure and I am lighter in mind and spirit.

6. Be a Better Swimmer

No. Still stuck at this. I was a school swimmer and participated at the National Championships way back in the 1970s. So I can swim. And well. But I need to persist to get better at swimming and ensuring that my muscles get their full exercise and conditioning. Running only stretches one set of muscles, and cross training with karate another set of muscles. So swimming is the last of the exercise skills I am still stuck at Base 1

7. Be a Better Piano Player

OK. Again. I am still a non starter. Played piano in school, was trained to Grade 8 and passed Grade 7. So again I am not a novice at this. I need to better discipline my time to maintain this passion of mine so that this activity can occupy me in my later years. 


Hoo Hah !  I did my part to raise awareness of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder amongst people (especially Men) and here is my video from June and July 2020. 





No comments: