Tuesday, September 29, 2020

What's My Ikigai ? What's your Ikigai ?



Ikigai is the Japanese term referring to the raison d"etre. It is the reason for a person's existence. It is coined from a Japanese term which basically means the reason a person gets up in the morning. "What drives me ?" or "Why am I alive today ?" "Why am I in this world today ? ",

"Is there a reason for my existence ?"

The question of my existence in this earth for all of its complications, challenges, struggles, pain, suffering, happiness, joy, satisfaction, adrenalin rush surge of optimism and ennui (lack of enthusiasm) has always been the most difficult question I have had to answer. It is the same for many people who have the cognizant awakening one day to find out - hey, is that it ? 

Do I make a difference ? If not, then what is my life worth if it does not enrich anybody except myself and my partner ? That would be utterly selfish, though many people either never give it a second thought and pursue self satisfaction in terms of monetary accumulation. There are those who are unfortunate in the hand of life, or have some health affliction and have different paths to go. Logically, people seek to question the unfairness of life. Why is life so unfair ? 

The reality as far as I am concerned, is that it is not fair. So, this means that there is no logic to life some of the time, though we utilise logic and adopt rules in our lives, our society and respect and adhere to these rules.

We attach logical patterns to create formulas to decipher the forces, and directions of the physical. Science has and always will be a self correcting and self improving subject. One day the entire planet will be ruled by logic, artificial intelligence, and it would be a sad day when that comes, for human beings for all their frailities, and failings will be then relegated to mere disposable entities.

Man is never born equal. It is a harsh reality of life, in times past, present and in the future. We have to make the best with whatever shortcomings (its all in our perception) that our life throws at us (yes sometimes shit hits me in the face) and face up to it.

To deny my situation is a choice sometimes I never made. So I cannot change the past but the future whatever is left of it, I need to look at it squarely in the eye and make something good out of it. I may never achieve some of my lofty goals, but I will give it my 110 % and at the end of life, I will say, 

" I did my very best in everything I undertook and I seized the day. "

Regrets ? Probably there will be.

Satisfaction : absolutely as I would make my path to be a life well lived.

Legacy : It is still a work in progress.I am not dead yet. 

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.. "  

Robert Herrick 




 


 

   

 

No comments: