Monday, November 22, 2021

Thoughts after having had a bout of COVID


 Its been 2 weeks since my return to normal life after testing positive for COVID. I was fortunate to have a very mild case of it, and my symptoms were typical of an asymptomatic patient.

I did not have any fever, body aches, running nose.

I only had some sore throat, and a dry cough which came and went.

The most telling symptom of the COVID was the loss of smell and taste. This most precious of my body's function came back after 5 days and I am so thankful for this. 

So, 2 days before the very day when I tested positive, I had an inkling that I may have been exposed to it, as my friend whom I had lunch 2 days ago told me that he had tested positive and was feeling awful.

I immediately self isolated myself in my own attic room, and informed my family that I was a 'close contact' of a confirmed COVID case. 

2 days later, after taking ART tests every day since he informed me, I tested positive.

I was prepared, and I am considered one of the lucky ones who had a case of mild COVID.

The number of vaccinations I took could have also have acted as a 'shield immunity' for my system as I had taken in total, 4 jabs. Let me elaborate.

On April 7th, I registered and took my first jab of Moderna.

6 days later, I came down with a bad case of hives and was almost warded in Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

Fortunately my hives subsided after 3 days, after taking antihistamine and steroids to control the outbreak.

I then was put on a program by the MOH to take the Chinese Sinovac (2 doses) in August.

In September, when undergoing a routine blood test, my doctor advised me to take the annual 'flu vaccine which I readily did and paid for.

Hence, my opinion was that because I had 4 shots against COVID and 'flu which is also a coronavirus, I believe my system held up very well against this dreaded virus which has decimated millions of people around the world and led to untold economic hardship and struggles from China to all parts of the world.

My self isolation meant that I had to do the following :

a) No direct contact with anyone for up to 10 days.

b) All food and drink had to be in separate utensils and plates, cups which were separately washed.

c) On the 9th day, I managed to get a negative COVID test. Although it gave me the all clear to go out, I decided to stay away for 1 more day just to play it safe.

d) Hence I only resumed daily activities outside of my room from the 10th day onwards.

My thoughts about having the COVID : 

1. Singapore is a wealthy country and we have the means to keep the death rate low. We are indeed fortunate as we have funds to get the best vaccines, best medical care, and services to manage the pandemic.

2. I will never ever neglect to take my annual 'flu vaccine.

3. I have resolved to cut my drinking by 50% until it reaches a level of perhaps once a month.

    It currently is once every 2 weeks. This will not only manage my weight and also keep diabetes and other illnesses in check.

4. I resolve to remain as healthy by allocating one meal per day soley for fruits and vegetables 

5. I realise that I can deal with isolation pretty well, as I do not need physical presence as much as some other people who also need to be around people. My personality type is 

ENTJ - which is Commander and that means he who leads other people. 

Most commanders do not have the luxury of having many friends as they have to make many crucial decisions which affect the armies, companies with a very cold and calculated thought process wthich ultimately affects the lives of many of their solders and their employees.

I do enjoy the solitude of that 9 days. I am not totally in a cave with no access to the outside world. Far from it, but the fact that I do not desire the interpersonal presence of people as much as some in our society. The animal most associated with this is the Eagle. 

Going forward, I can advise whoever who reads this blog post to practice 

1. maintain a full vaccination status ; 

2. avoid going to crowded places

3. take the annual 'flu jabs

4. stay as healthy as you can possibly be. Your immune system is your first and last line of defence. Do not sabotage yourself by excessive drinking, partying, overwork or denying yourself sleep.

5. Minimise social interaction. We are still 70% on the recovery trend but not totally. So we need to be street smart and vigilant every single day.  

It is not worth catching this disease if you did not observe point no. 4 above.

Carpe Diem ! 



 


No comments:

Very Good Dry Pork Noodles (Bak Chor Mee) at Evans Road Food Centre

There is a small food centre ( Sprouts Food Place ) by the side of Botanic Gardens and the Swimming Pool, off Evans road and just before Clu...