Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Story 2008



Today, 23rd December, I went to visit my Orthopaedic doctor, a Dr. Khong at Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre for a nagging knee injury which had been bothering me on and off for several months now. Turns out it may be a tear on the cartilage or ligaments on the side of my knee. Upon his recommendation, I went for an MRI or Magnetic Resonance Interferometry on the knee at the Paragon Shopping Center and Medical Suites along Orchard Road.

So here I was, at 3.30pm in the afternoon, just waiting my turn for the X-ray and then the MRI at the MedLab (for those X-rays and MRI images). I was feeling pretty pleased with myself and having taken a leisurely half-day to check on my
leg and hopefully get a quick recovery.On top of that,I was in Paragon Shopping Centre and could go and do some last minute Christmas shopping for myself and was lost in thoughts about what I would reward myself for this 'hard' year.

Sitting in the waiting room, I couldn't help it but overhear one man who was obviously a doctor, talk to a couple who had a baby no more than 2 months old. She was being bottle-fed by the young father and by the looks of it, the doctor was telling them that there was a tumor and there could be the possibility of it being cancerous. He was detailing the various options the couple would have to take.

One minute, I was feeling quite good and cheery and next minute, I felt absolutely helpless and disappointed with myself.Helpless, because I could not do anything nor interrupt the couple who were facing an extremely serious situation.
Disappointed with myself because I was falling into the trap of the "Christmassy Spirit".

I mentally wished the couple the very best for their baby but can you imagine, that their only HOPE AND JOY is FIGHTING FOR HER DEAR LIFE and during Christmas? What is the meaning of living when all your hopes and dreams are shattered by something you cannot understand, especially to YOUR OWN CHILD WHEN SHE IS SO YOUNG?

I was called away at that point to go for my MRI scan.



There are MANY people who don't know the true meaning of Christmas. Even if they did, they are actually too busy performing retail therapy or shopping on themselves and their partners and colleagues to bother finding out. Its been going on around ever since the creation of the Television, Advertisements magnified by and those damn Sellavision people (I didn't say USA).

Christians believe that Jesus Christ was born roughly around this date 2008 years ago and that his birth was long anticipated and predicted. 3 kings followed the star to where the baby Jesus was born in Bethleham and presented the family of Joseph,Mary and Jesus gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.Magnificent gifts to pay homage and respect to the Son of God.

Marketeers and Advertising Teams have then perveted the concept of this gift giving and made it a totally pagan and fairy-tale affair with the :

a) Mega Christmas Sales at ALL the top Boutique outlets and Deparyment Stores
b) Santa Claus (fat White Man with white beard),
c) Snowing scenes,santarinas, reindeer,Santa movies
d) Office Christmas parties,and presents to give to everyone,
from your CEO,CFO right down to your cleaning aunty and petrol pump attendant.
e) Loads and Loads of Parties, Presents, Log Cakes, Christmas Ham and Alcohol
f) Visits to the doctor for overeating or drinking (Ho Ho Ho).

What has all of the above got to do with the birth of Jesus ? NOTHING.

What has the above got to do with the pursuit of profits,money and self-indulgence ? EVERYTHING.

In this day and age, everyone just wants an excuse to practise Retail Therapy, because spending makes one Feel Good and Handsome,Beautiful and get into the 'Christmas spirit'.

THIS IS CRAP ! YOU WANT TO SHOP AND FEEL THE 'CHRISTMASSY' SPIRIT, DO IT ANY DAY,MONDAY IS BEST.CAUSE YOU FEEL GOOD THE REST OF THE WEEK.BETTER DO IT EVERYDAY THEN THE ECONOMY WILL GET A BOOST AND MAYBE THIS RECESSION WONT LAST LIKE FOREVER.

My humble 3 wishes to everyone if they could come true for this Christmas and ideally the whole year round :

1. HEALING - Too many angsty people with short fuses everywhere
Many have been burned inthe stock market, property, business failues and
overwhelmed by the magnitude and severity of the economic crisis.

2. COMPASSION (or EMPATHY) - to the less fortunate

3. UNDERSTANDING AN ACCEPTANCE - This is the tougest and hardest wish to achieve
but everyone will fall down someday.We all ask "WHY ME ?" Its how we get up
and deal with it that counts. Else accept it gracefully.

Have a Happy and Thoughtful Christmas.

2 comments:

roland teo said...

Agree, Christmas is becoming just a commercial affair and an excuse for restuarants to extort money.

On the couple with the sick child, life is tough, to sail through life without any problems require tremendous amount of luck and fate to be on your side

Seize the Day said...

Thanks,Roland.

Very Good Dry Pork Noodles (Bak Chor Mee) at Evans Road Food Centre

There is a small food centre ( Sprouts Food Place ) by the side of Botanic Gardens and the Swimming Pool, off Evans road and just before Clu...