Monday, December 29, 2008

When Life hands you Lemons, make Lemonade


This is a phrase I learnt from my son, Andrew. This is from one of his cartoon shows, Ed Edd and Eddy, I think. The idea is that 'don't dwell on the negative for too long' and 'make the best of the situation'.Last week, I had my MRI done on my leg and while there is some early osteoarthritis setting in,it is not something which will set me back and sit in my armchair and moan and groan. I have decided to make the best of the situation and while it hurts to run even 5km due to a tear in my knee ligaments,I have decided to take up cycling and swimming,and hopefully my knee ligaments will heal. This will then ultimately lead me to a triathlon some time down the road. All those that think I'm nuts you're entitled to your opinions but as my Karate instructor, Mr. Chia wrote in his blog, he is happy with the path he took with his life and so am I.

I'm thankful for all that I have experienced in my running (4 full marathons and 10 half marathons) and pursuing one's passion is extremely satisfying, for me at least.

Life is also too short to be too cautious. There are many people out there with the "what if I fail/crash/fall/embarass ??". What then ? On the other side,"What if I don't and I get to enjoy :

a) the endorphine rushes after each long run or swim
b) leaner, toner and healthier body
c) the better self esteem
d) the less visits to the GP for minor coughs,colds,headaches and irritable bowels

So now, for the new challenge in 2009. I want to swim, cycle and run and hopefully, go for a Triathalon.

Anybody Game ?

Carpe Diem

No comments: