Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cricket Club Lunch Treat by My Mother 6 June 2009



My mother Anna Abisheganaden bought my family a nice lunch at the Singapore Cricket Club next to the famous Padang in downtown Civic District. She turns 79 this year and is still a very feisty and active Senior Citizen. Born in 1930, she worked in the Ministry of Health serving 4 Permanent Secretaries up till the day she retired some 10 odd years ago. She has instilled in me that sports is able to develop one's character and the many values which good sportsmen have can be applied to our working and business life.



Though she did not earn as much as my father, she managed to invest their joint income in properties in Singapore and overseas in countries such as Australia, Perth, London UK and even United States. Ever the street smart lady, she had the input of many successful lawyers,doctors and banker friends who advised her on making the correct purchases at the right time.
With the double increment of net house price increase and rental, her portfolio was pretty successful. She and my father would join several Clubs in Singapore such as the NUSS, the Cricket Club and the Singapore Swimming Club all of which I am and will be a member soon.


Noel after finishing off his Chicken Rice 

"Who dares wins" is a motto which my mother would ascribe to as her philosophy in business investment. It pretty much sums up her life as she has never been one to shy away from trying new and novel things. When she was in her forties, she was very active in the Singapore Swimming Club at Tanjong Rhu, taking an active interest in ensuring that my brother and I had rigorous swimming training. She religiously brought us to the Club at least 3 to 4 times a week after school and even on Sunday,much to my father's dismay - he wanted us to attend Church. Later on in life,after my swimming days were over, I went on to attend the service at the Saint Andrew's Cathedral at Coleman Street.


My Mother Anna Abisheganaden - a great inspiration to me.

She belongs to that generation who survived the Second World War and made tremendous sacrifices for her children.I feel truly privileged to be her son and will take on her motto in my quest for business success as well as in life.

No comments: