Sunday, October 11, 2009

Breakfast by Tata 11th Oct 2009


My simple breakfast today

Every Sunday while my wife May shops at the wet market in Tiong Bahru, I rush home (after dropping her off) to cook some breakfast for the family. This ritual has been going on for about 2 years now, and I consider myself an 'advanced beginner' chef having progressed from a total novice who did not know how to start a fire, let alone cook maybe Maggie Mee to someone who can cook around 10 very simple dishes, which include the following below. Go ahead and laugh, but I present most humbly :

a) steamed rice
b) blanching vegetables
c) stir fry vegetables with oyster sauce
d) omelette
e) steamed fish
f) porridge with sweet potato
g) scrambled eggs
h) all kinds of grilled meats,char siew and chicken - no brainer of course
i) spaghetti bolognaise



Our Display Table in the Living Room

Today as usual, I cooked the following simple dishes, grilled back bacon, blanched asparagus spears, cherry tomatoes, scrambled eggs with toast and Vietnamese coffee. Thanks to my friend Richard Goh who hand - carried a bag of coffee back to Singapore from Hanoi. I have to make a special thanks to my wife, May, who taught me step by step all the basic coooking procedures and I dutifully noted them down for easy reference. Another thanks goes to the book "Healthy Appetite" by renowned celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay whose recipes I have been following conscienciously for the whole of last year.

Mum's not cooking, so Tata comes in to do his part.

No comments: