Friday, October 9, 2009

Time to Give Back to Society


Youth Challenge

Recently I was invited to join the Executive Board as 2nd Vice President of the Youth Challenge, a non-profit charity with the objectives of helping disadvantaged youths find their place in society as well as provide self-esteem awareness courses and humanitarian trips to Third World Countries.

My friend who is the President, Looi Teck Kheong, is a lawyer in private practice and after much persistent persuasion, I decided to join and contribute my small share in terms of experience as a business leader and I hope it provides me with the humbling experience of knowing first hand what the problems are for the youth of today in Singapore. Categorically, there are 3 segments :

a) Youth from well to do homes
b) Youth in suburban middle income homes
c) Youth from poor families
d) Youth from dysfunctional families and from families with endemic problems

As I am a relative newcomer to volunteerism, I hope I can inject some fresh ideas and contacts to improve the lot of this charity which I find can establish its niche in our society. I will keep the readers posted on what are our initiatives and where YC will be headed in the near future.

No comments: