Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year New Beginnings


My family

Every year, we have 2 celebrations, Christmas, which is celebrated with my parents' siblings and close friends and New Year's Eve with my own close friends from Singapore and Australia. Last year (yes 31st Dec is now categorised as last year), we had dinner at my house again and the pictures below show what my wife had prepared for our friends whom we meet, sadly,only once or at most twice a year. As we move on well into the middle age, we are well aware that time is the MOST PRECIOUS resource and once it is gone, we cannot recapture or regain it back, unlike other resources like money and enthusiasm. As I looked back on the year, I am generally pleased with the way it ended, just as it began. In 2009, business wise we performed better than 2008, with sizeable orders from our neighbouring countries Thailand and Malaysia. Singapore business for the first half to 9 months was pretty bad.


Tossed salad with virgin Olive Oil from Hungary

There have been sad and also one tragic moment, when Kannan's son passed away in mid December due to a fall. I am deeply saddened by this event and sent him and his wife Arlene our deepest condolences.Events like these tell me that life is indeed very fragile and we should not waste even a minute of it wallowing in self pity, wasting time in mindless activities like playing computer games, EPL football matches and excessive Facebook updates, to name a few. Several staff left the company and I am most grateful for their contributions,namely Rufus (Service Manager) in Malaysia and Tawatchai (Manager) in Thailand. I would also like to thank Rick for his efforts in Singapore in 2007 and 2008.


Cous cous with almonds,pistachios,pomegranates and other goodies

On the more positive note, we received 5 new orders in October, November and December for sales in Singapore, when the first 8 - 10 months were quite barren.So I am looking for a more positive start t 2010 than 2009.

On my personal side, I ran the Half Marathon in August clocking 2 hours 20 minutes; which was slightly better than 2008. Unfortunately as I injured my Illitiobal band after playing squash, I decided to quit my attempt at a 5th marathon which was the Standard Chartered Marathon. The year 2009 was also the year I travelled to many countries, in April, I went to Vietnam for the first time. Early May, I went to Giessen Germany for the Weiss Technik International Sales Conference, June I was in Paris France and Budapest Hungary for a private visit, October I visited my wife in Hong Kong and in December my family visited Egypt. I am blessed and most appreciative to have good family and a stable company to be able to take time off.

THANK YOU MAY, THE BOYS AND THE TEAM AT QRA.



Beef Stew Simmered in Wine ; Champagne Sangria in Glass

So for 2010, what lies in store for me ? Personally I have set myself targets which I have been setting for over 6 years now. Each year I set some goals both personal and company wise to challenge and make a difference and hopefully improve aspects of my life and help those around me. However in 2010, I think it would be wise if I added to my goals the following extras :

- Serve the community (charity or social work)
- Laugh more and have a balanced life


Fried Salmon with Dill Salad

I hope all my friends who are reading this post make some resolutions for the 2010 and beyond, it is going to be a tumultous 10 years and lets ride it well ! I am born in the year of the Tiger and it is my year. Have a good year of the Tiger !!

1 comment:

Kannan said...

Hi Mark,

My wife and I would like to thank you for your kind words for my son loss in December 12th 2009.Thank you for your support.We appreciate it so much.