Monday, March 21, 2011

Scouts Job Week 12 - 19 March 2011


Nathan doing his bit


Andrew and Ryan 


A thorough job means cleaning every part of the car


The last week saw a whole 'tribe' of Scouts descend onto our housing estate, it was the start of Job Week (12 - 19 March 2011). Every scout from my son Andrew's troop had a personal objective of S$ 200 to 'earn' in work related jobs. So as early as 7.30 am there were eager beaver scouts ringing our doorbell !

I am fully supportive of the Job Week as I fully ascribe to the saying "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and you feed him for life". This is of course overly simplistic and the meaning really is to reach the youth of today how hard it is to earn a decent living. The value of earning money can never be underestimated. So it was with much enthusiasm that the section came to my place to source for any jobs. 

I ,of course, relented and made them clean my car on the first day and on the second day, made them clean the water feature. I felt I did overpay them a little (each earned $10 for about 45 minutes work) but part time work most times is left at the behest of the employer.  

I remember in the 'old days' as a Scout,  my father also invited me to his office to clean the tables, clear the rubbish and  do other menial stuff. It set ne thinking about the working world, and earning some money in later life. Hopefully, this will rub off on my son in the not too distant future.

No comments: