Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Out with the Old in with the New - 2014


Happy New Year !! 

2013 has come and gone in a flash. I have turned 51 from 50 in what has seemed like a day. It is true the old adage which goes "Time crawls when you are a baby, it walks when you are a youth, it runs when you are a young adult, and it flies when you get past 50". Well the last past, I added that on myself. It really seems that the older we get, the feeling that time is slipping way too fast for our liking is all to real.

2013 has been a rather difficult year for me, on the business front, as a small business owner, the economy though it grew by 3.7 %, manufacturing and services on the whole have been sputtering and only in the aeronautical, biomedical clusters have seen some positive growth. I had taken the step  for my company to distribute Asian Quality Assurance Test Equipement brands - since 2012- and I have never regretted that decision. 

Since venturing into the Test Laboratory services, we have a lot more visibility with the customers especially in the Singapore and South Malaysia territories. Orders are coming in on a more regulated basis, I am happy to announce, and hopefully 2014 will see a major kickoff in the transport simulation test services section of our business. 



With My brother's relatives on Christmas Day Dinner

Personally I have completed my 8th marathon, at a time I am happy with, 5 hours, 53 minutes. This is almost 20 minutes faster than my 2012 time, and with minimal training too ! So it is a cause for celebration. My 2 young men, Noel and Andrew are well into their teens and as December (just past) is the winter holiday term break, both have started working in temporary jobs as wait staff. My wife and I were most pleased to see the good attitude as well as the desire to work and earn an honest wage in the food establishments at Clarke Quay and Tanglin Mall respectively.



Cheers ! 


As the transition from boys to men, my fervent wish is that they follow the right path to achieve a decent University education following which they can start their own careers and build their own nuclear families.

The 50s is an age of reflection as well as building a lasting legacy for oneself. A wonderful book given by my brother and sis-in-law, called "How do you measure your life ?" The message is for me is to lead a meaningful life which I and only I can add value to the world, my family, friends and the people I interact with.

Seize the Day ! Happy 2014 !   

No comments: