Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Skiing - The Exhilaration and the Risk



    Recently on 30th December, the 8 times world F1 champion Michael Schumacher had a horrible accident off - piste (outside the demarcated ski slopes_ and inflicted a terrible head injury, which today he is still in an induced coma.

    As a skier myself, though not in the expert range as the pros, I am well aware of the speeds at which skiers can and do normally go at. It was reported that Schumacher was going at speeds of 60 to 100 kmper hour (!) downslope when he turned a corner and slammed into a hidden rock. Such is the perils of off piste skiing, which can leave you feeling like the king of the hill one day and the next day, in a wheelchair with broken ribs, arms, a leg, or even worse, in a coma.

    Many expert skiers do not live long lives as they have succumbed to the mountains as going from ridge to ridge is highly dangerous and the need for speed and to feel that adrenalin rush just that one more time is so addictive, they make the move, but the body just can't balance or be as adept as when in their prime, hence, the accidents and the tragedies.    

     It was fortuitous that Michael Schumacher wore a helmet, but the fact that it broke into 2 shows the forceful intensity in which his head slammed into stone. I can only shudder and my prayers are out to him and his family for hopefully a miracle and that he can recover some or all of his previous self and wit.







    I remember last year in Japan, when I first skied down the intermediate slope, I lost control and cartwheeled on the slope and hit my head on the slope. Luckily the helmet absorbed the majority of the impact and I picked myself up, rather giddily, and continued skiing down.  

    

Skiing in Korea December 2010



     People who want to ski, please take lessons, also wear helmets, and most of all follow the signs according to your ability. These simple steps  will possibly one day save your life. 


No comments: