Friday, June 30, 2023

Adam Road Nasi Lemak June 2023 Review ; Over rated, too sweet chilli sauce.

 


30th June 2023 My Order 

Sutra Set 


I decided to eat one of Singapore's national dishes, apart from the Chicken Rice, Prawn Laksa, Hokkien Mee, and Roti Prata. Nasi Lemak is famous the world over for its succulent and savoury rice infused in coconut and all the add ons.

So off I went, on a rainy Friday morning to Adam Road Hawker Centre. There were 6 people in front of me, as I queued at the No. 1 Adam Road Nasi Lemak. Their competitor, Selera Nasi Lemak was closed today.

My order was the Sutra Set, this costs $6 and comprised the following :

a) Lemak Rice

b) Chilli Sauce (a big dose)

c) Otak (Mackerel Spicy Fish Cake)

d) Peanuts and Fried Anchovies

e) Deep Fried Chicken

f) Omelette slice

g) Cucumber Slice.

The order was smooth and prompt and I quickly dove into the savoury fragrant rice. My verdict ?

Disappointing on several fronts.

 a) Lemak Rice - Ok. Pass

b) Chilli Sauce - too sweet and very spicy. I did not like it at all. Perhaps a Sambal one would have been a better combination with the rice. This is a big fail. 

c) Otak - not very fresh and hardly any meat. I have tried many far more succulent (banana smell from the wrap and the fish taste is there).Borderline  

d) Peanuts and Anchovies - OK, Acceptable.

e) Chicken - too dry and not juicy. Fail

f) Omelette slice - no impression

g) Cucumber slice - no impression.

The price of $6 while reasonable, did not live up to its billing as 'good'. It is barely acceptable.

Overall, it didn't live up to my expectation to what a good nasi lemak should be. There are 2 which I highly recommend which are better in my opinion.

a) Lee Wee and Brothers (Old Airport Road, and outlet at JEM Basement 1)

b) Drips (Tiong Poh Road in Tiong Bahru) 

which are much better in the meat, and omelette departments. Their rice is also very fragrant.


No comments: