Friday, June 2, 2023

a 5K Run in the Blistering Morning Vesak Day

 


The Frumpy Old Geezer Look 

I'm writing this in the comfort of my attic, after having completed a decent 5K run in the blistering hot morning over here in S'pore. While the weather at 9.20 am (yes I am a late riser), was already in the low 30s, I was determined to return to my old running schedule one way or the other.

You see, 2 weeks ago, I went and had an X-ray done at the S'pore General Hospital on both knees and while the assessment was mild OA onset, I am clearly mindful I can count the number of runs left me - maybe I have a decent 9 years before I have to accept the end of my running days.

Today's 5 K run (12.5 rounds of 400 m) was done and dusted at 39 minutes flat or on average a 7 minutes 46 seconds. Not fast times like last time but "Hey" who is counting the time ?? 

The orthopaedic doctors there thought I was a 'tough guy' to be able to consider running in my (very early) 60s but I am DETERMINED to succeed. My goal is to finish (maximum)  5 more marathons - hopefully all overseas and I will  finally call it a day.

No knee surgery, no wheelchair for this old fart, for the forseeable future, I am hoping.

  

No comments: