June 1974 at Trafalgar Square
My recent blood test was (thankfully) quite a relief and while there were no results which was concerningly high (or low), my blood glucose level falls in the prediabetic range. I have resolved to change my diet - bit by bit - first for the first 30 days and then hopefully it builds into a habit.
From what I have read, the prefrontal cortex of the brain does the analytical and logical thinking while the basal ganglia does the repetitive (automatic mode) work of the mundane.
I am fully cognizant that I need to do the following so there will be some changes to my diet and lifestyle.
Vegetables - eat more (1/2 plate) Carbohydrates - restrict (1/4 plate)
> Broccoli > brown rice
> Cauliflower > whole grain noodles
> Mushrooms > sweet potato
> Cucumber
> Tomato
> Steel cut oats
Protein (1/4 to 1/2 plate)
> Chicken without skin
> Fish (steamed, grilled or fried)
> Tofu
> Eggs
> Unsweetened yoghurt
> Beans, lentils, chickpeas
Fruits - eat more whole fruits but selectively
> apples
> oranges
> berries
> papaya
Avoid as much as possible
> alcohol
> processed meats
> ham
> sausages
> bacon
> chips (crisps and chips)
> fast food
> nuts (walnuts, pistachios, cashews)
> avocado
> gravy in any of the braised or chilli dishes.
> olive oil (little bit) with some bread.
Its a tough regimen, I will admit. I will give myself 1 off day and 2 disciplined days to start.
So Wed and Saturdays will be my off days, and the rest I will try to adopt this diet.

No comments:
Post a Comment