Sunday, January 25, 2009

Preparing for CNY Year of the Ox



Oranges symbolise Luck and the chocolates and sweets symbolise Plenty,Hong Bao is of course Money in Abundance



The Pussy Willow is a favourite amongst Chinese families with its long branches and cat furry like 'leaves'

I am half-Chinese (the other half is Indian), and my wife is Chinese, I have had the happy experiences of the Nong Li Xin Nian and recall the vivid memories of first receiving the much cherised Hong Bao (red packets containing money) from young,right through my teeange years and as a young adult.Now as a middle-aged person with family and children, my impressions of the Chinese New Year and its traditions take on new meanings as time goes by. Most important is the concept of the respect for elders and filial peity, and the congregating of close family members near and far for the Reunion Dinner.

People are known to fly half the world over just to meet with their parents,siblings and their spouses especially during Chinese New Year. Also, millions of migrant Chinese workers go back to their hometowns weeks before the New Year from the big cities leaving the citites virtual 'ghost towns'.

It is safe to say that most youngsters and teenagers would think of themselves as "citizens of the world" and basically cultureless. As we grow and mature, we realise that we belong to certain heritages and the observance of these time honoured practices by 'our' people is what we call 'customs'. I am guilty of ignorance of many of the meanings of the Chinese customs and traditions but I do my part when it comes to fixing or decorating the house, and the deliveryboy errands like purchasing the Pussy Willow plants, flowerpots and some food dishes like "ClayPot" (Pan Chai) from the local restaurant.

Each year,my family has a Reunion Dinner at my House with my parents (my Mum is the eldest daughter), my younger Brother's family,my Aunt (2nd sister) and her daughter (my cousin). Each New Year's Day we will celebrate at my house (I am the elder son of the Eldest Sister) with about 50 people attending with all their families.

Above are some of the decorations in anticipation of the Year of the Ox.

No comments: