Friday, January 30, 2009

Service here is SUB - STANDARD !



This sandwich restaurant has been in Singapore for at least 5 years now and with more than 20 outlets in various places like Changi airport Terminal 1, I got quite hooked on their Subs about a year ago what with their focus on fresh food,healthier food choices such as tuna, chicken breast fillets, teriyaki chicken and plenty of lettuce, tomatoes,olives,onions and as much (or as little in my case) of dressing.

I frequent 2 outlets, one at Raffles City and another at Great World City. While the food standard is more or less consistent,and with the customer (me) required to interact extensively with the server in ordering :

a) type of Submarine sandwich
b) Size : 6 inch or a foot long
c) type of bread (6 types)
d) toasted or not
e) type of filling (you choose)
f) type of dressing (8 types)
g) side orders to go with your Sub

In an earlier blog, I had praised the foreign worker for showing exemplary service to me.Unfortunately, this time around, all of the front line service or food servers were mainly foreign (the ones in Raffles City are Filippino and Chinese, the one at Great World City is Filippino and a local). They are all young, males and females, but they all lack the Customer Service Attitude or even the basic greeting of "Good Morning or Hello " is absent. It may a motivational problem which the Management should look into, providing training in handling customers or even good customer etiquette.

My experience is almost always the same, even though I frequent the place perhaps 3 times in the week. They show no sign of recognising me (I am there at almost the same time about 9.30 am most weekdays).No greeting, the same dour expression, the monotonous questions with the food servings and the emphasis on finishing up my order.

I might as well order from a machine if I had to !

The key point is that these people are the 'ambassadors' of the company. No matter how good your food is,the key objective is to enhance the dining experience and to make your customer feel elated. Of course food taste and presentation is top priority no doubt but Service is the 'x' factor here. I can cite Starbucks at Marina Square is one such excellent example where I am happy to patronise. On seeing me come again for several days in a row, the barista can preempt my coffee order as well as the sandwich I normally like. On top of that, on seeing me as a 'regular' the baristas have invited me to their monthly Coffee Parties to thank regular customers. Now THAT IS EXCELLENT SERVICE.

When you are at the front line, that is the Sales or Service people, be mindful to have a positive attitude in giving it your all to your customer. Because when your customer feels your moodiness,or half-heartedness,even though you are 'doing your job' he will take his business elsewhere and it will ultimately affect everyone, and most likely you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good message especially the last paragraph.

roland teo said...

Service in Singapore sucks, we should learn from the Taiwanese and the Japanese

Example for furniture delivery, in Singapore they will tell you they will deliver in the afternoon that is a 3 - 4 hours waiting time. In Taiwan they will advice only a half hour window! Another poor service provider is Sintel, they make take up to a week if you want to use their broadband service, in Taiwan it is done either same day or next day latest!!!

I think we have got too arrogant here, we need to take a self assessment and realize that other countries have surpassed us in service delivery!

Anonymous said...

WAH WAH WAH TAIWAN SO NICE AR.I WAN GO THERE NOW

L.K.Y said...

I think subway is ok ok la but roland seems to think otherwise...
he thinks yamashita rocks... tho its nice but it still sucks.

lemme end here with a quote of the day: "subway,eat fresh!"