Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sheares Bridge and Army Half Marathon 2009



This year's half marathon is almost like a regular event for me.I have taken part in the Army half Marathon (organised by the S'pore Armed Forces) for a total of 8 times, and in the last 5 consecutive years (except 2006) I have taken part in the Veteran's competitive section. The objective is to 2 fold :

1) To achieve an Intermediate Goal of 21 km whereby I can attain a level of running mileage enroute to the end of the year full marathon which is 42 km long. I force myself to run this distance and motivate my tired aching muscles to go the extra km.

2) To pschomotivate myself to now maintain and run at this distance and push the distance envelope longer to 25km, 30 km, 35km and then 40 km.



At the Finisher Paddock

Dean Karnazes, the famous ultramarthoner once famously said that to run the 100 miler (160 km), "you run the first 50 miles with your body and the next 50 miles with your mind". Reflect on this phrase for a while.

This is especially true for me as while I enjoy distance running as a hobby and sport, there are times when I lack the motivation to a) get out of the door at 5am in the morning b) Continue running to the set distance.After finishing 10 km or even 15 km, it is so easy to say "stop,thats enough for the day" when in actual fact,
I need to cover the neccesary 15 or 20 kilometres. I need to log in about 80 - 100 km per week and an average run spped of 6 minutes /km for me to achieve the required timing I desire of around 4hr and 15 minutes for the full marathon.

This is the target time for me this year, barring any unforseen injuries like last year.

In 2007, I covered the 42km in 4 hours and 45 minutes or so


Finisher Medal

This year's Army half Marathon started at the right time in my opinion, not too early where all competitors must wake up at the unearthly hour of say 2am. 5.30 am is a decent enough time to start but my grouses for this year's Half marathon is this :

1. Too many soldiers who are supposed to run at 7.00am (10 km) are already there are 5am causing alot of confusion and chaos at the baggage deposit areas, toilets and general waiting areas.

2. Announcement to come to the starting paddock was not heard, there was too many people milling around causing confusion. Many runners, me included did not know that the run had started (5.28am) until we walked near the start and went over the Championchip timing mats.

3. Baggage handlers were very inexperienced and asked for all bags to be opened and checked (for possible bombs ?) as a new security feature and then to delay things further, we had to cut the bag tags when the earlier instructions were to tie the tags to the bags directly. The reason was to place each bag in a waterproof plastic bag.

Compliments this year

1. Plenty of water points and serving water as well as 100+

2. The motivators were youth groups and some units music and dance companies which were quite a sight to see, thus distracting me from my aching muscles and heat.We had a Caucasion gorup on kompangs (Malay drums) and also a group of stiltwalkers among the more interesting ones.

My run target was 2hours and 05 minutes and I hoped to reach that time by strapping a wrist band with the km times printed out for each kilometre covered. By 2km, I knew that I was behind the target time and was trying my hardest to make up for lost time. However, my experience and instincts kicked in and I decided to stop or slow at almost all drink stations to get water for hydration - a very important factor for me so as to ensure I could last the distance.

Truth be told, I had not covered this distance in a year and this run was in a way of telling me, hey I can cover this distance. Anyway, the first 5 kms were pretty smooth with about 6:30 pace, behind the target 5.55 pace needed for a 2hr 05 finish time. I decided to continue on 6:30 pace as it wss crowded and overtaking and swerving around sweaty bodies take up alot of energy and effort. Maintaining the pace for the first 10km was my goal.

Around 7km, at the start of East Coast Park,and I could see the first elite runners already heading back at the 15km mark, their long purposeful strides making the most of the road.How I wish i could run like them !

At 10km, we hit the first timing mat and it was still quite a decent pace for me of 6:30. Around 12km I popped my first Accel Gel, an energy gel of complex carbohydrates and drank water to digest. Around 15km, near Mountbatten road exit the first aches on my muscles were starting. I was enduring the aches and ignoring the younger runners zipping past. " Run your own race. I have nothing to prove except finish at a respectable time" I told myself. There were about 1000 people ahead of me but around 5000 behind,so I figured I was around 20% percetile.

By the 18km, I was visualising how I would finish, the route was familiar so I just took the time to mentally play out how I would look for the cameras at the end point. How vain of me !

By the 20km mark, my legs were like wood, but I endured and the last 1km I took the extra effort to raise my footstrikes and not to shuffle. I even found the photographers at the finish and toyed with them on the home stretch to take myself finishing.

After collecting the medal at the Finisher's paddock, I bumped into my running khaki (Gopi). We had a nice catchup on our runs last year, and since I injured myself, I made it a point to run with him in the near future.

Truly, this sport is all-inclusive and one I will partake for a long time.

No comments: