Saturday, September 2, 2017

Putien Lunch 1 Sept 2017 - 1 Michelin Star Restaurant ; My Experience



Steamed Crab with Tang Hoon - signature (in season) dish 

Yesterday was Hari Raya Haji, a religious holiday for Muslims around the world celebrating Eid Mubarak. So for us in Singapore, it was a holiday and a long weekend for us. I took the opportunity to go to ION Orchard Road to have lunch with my younger son, as my wife was away on business. We headed to the 4th floor, intending to dine at Paradise Group, as I had vouchers for that restaurant. As the queue and the wait was expected to be long ; this is Singapore and good food comes with a price and patience (I hadn't booked), I encouraged Andrew to try the neighbouring Putien Restaurant (Xin Hua cuisine) , which was less full - or having a much larger restaurant to fill. 


Try their tea 

I wasn't impressed by their booking counter, as there was some confusion as to where was the actual booking and reservation site, some mainland Chinese couple took their liberties and I almost ticked them off. Getting into the restaurant, it was full and we had to dine at the terrace, which was perfect given the early afternoon and mild weather. We decided to order 3 of their Signature dishes. The first was the steamed crab Tang Hoon (a glass noodle similar to Bee Hoon or Rice Vermicelli). The price was almost $14 per 100 g, so estimated size of 1 crab was 800g the price would be in the region of $72 thereabouts. 

The second was the Japanese scallop (at $13.60 per piece) and finally the Deep Fried Pigs Trotters (upper thigh) at $8 per trotter. 

The tea recommended was really good, I was impressed by the service staff, he was informative, polite, available when needed and proactive, cleaning the table and replenishing the plates even without prompting. 



Their chilli is quite something else

First to arrive was the scallop, it was fried, and with some flour added to give it a smooth taste. Andrew liked and so did I, as it was crunchy and flavourful. I added the chilli sauce which Putien was famous for (their restaurant at Kitchener Road has been given a 1 star rating by Michelin no less). Good starter, though pricey.  



The chilli sauce I must add is pretty potent. Its watery and with ingredients aplenty inside, you can buy it and take it home to try with your home cooking. 

The second dish, the pig's trotter was again deep fried, I had my reservations about the taste, but it was again very savoury, but fat filled, and nothing much else. I had ordered it out of curiosity, because of my Mother's obsession with eating Pig's trotter (braised) when she was alive. I was curious as to what enamoured her to eating such an unhealthy dish. My verdict, I find it too rich and fat filled, and will skip this altogether the next time I am there.  

Finally, the piece de resistance , the Steamer Crab with Tang Hoon. Finally, a dish worthy of a 1 Michelin star ! There was plenty of crab pieces, the meat was accessible and easy to take out from the shell and the tang hoon was savoury and flavourfull with scallop bits inside the dish.

The crab was laced with some gravy and had crab roe, which I avoided. The dish in my opinion was very flavourful and the tang hoon made up for the lack of 'carbo' and I had my fill. 

Finally, the waiter brought a fruit dessert on the house which was a nice end to a fine meal.

Total price for 2 ?  $ 140 all in. 

Pricey ? Yes

Tasty ?  Yes

Expected Value ?  Well Yes and No. 

Dining Experience ?  Good but not exceptional ; it is a 1 Michelin star restaurant after all. 

Worth the 1 Star ?  Frankly No. 

There are numerous eating restaurants and coffeeshops serving crab delicacies in Singapore, I can name a couple in Chinatown, Outram  (3Crab and Kampung Chicken Restaurant) as well as the Teochew restaurants (Quan Le Yuan) at Havelock Restaurant who give as flavourfull and cheaper options for dining. 

Try it for yourself and give me your reviews. You can google it and get their numbers or website. I am not paid to write or promote any restaurant.  

Putien ION Orchard
2 Orchard Turn
#04-12 ION Orchard
S'pore 238801




No comments:

Very Good Dry Pork Noodles (Bak Chor Mee) at Evans Road Food Centre

There is a small food centre ( Sprouts Food Place ) by the side of Botanic Gardens and the Swimming Pool, off Evans road and just before Clu...