Sunday, May 12, 2019

Remembering my Mum on this Mother's Day - Love Her so much


Our family with the 2 'sam mun zhai' 1969   

On this Mother's Day, I would like to spend some time reflecting on my wonderful mother, Anna, who during her lifetime helped so many people in their times of need. She was a wonderful mother, always wielding the rod when necessary (I was the painful recipient of it all the time but it worked in keeping the 2 mischievious boys under control) and buying us our favourite dry Beef Hor Fun from the same stall every Sunday after her swim and badminton game at the Singapore Swimming Club.   

Her financial acumen was superb, making great returns in property, shares and overseas property. Ever the matriach, as she was the eldest sister of 4 sisters and 2  brothers, she literally brought up the family with Por Por when they came to Singapore dirt poor in the 1950s. She was there when we were sick, giving us love, emotional support and arranging for the best medical care and service to attend to our (thankfully) minor ailments.

She gave us the best there was to give sacrificing her year end bonus for John and I to go for overseas holidays in our University days, these holidays while they were so enjoyable, opened our eyes and gave me a perspective of our country, its short history and its progress since it gained Independence in 1965. 

She was the doting grandmother to Noel, Andrew and Hannah and in her later years, she was such a great provider to many people in their times of need, providing financial, emotional, advice as an aunt, and so many more things. 




Mum, you are greatly missed 

I made time with her at the occasional lunches at Cricket Club, had several visits overseas to Malacca, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Bangkok, she doing her shopping and spa and generally having a great time.

She really took care of Papa, Johnny and me. Mum, I want to say the biggest THANK YOU for you gave me so many life lessons, like picking myself up when I fall, staying the course and always be pleasant to everyone around me, whether they are CEOs or the poorest vagrants. People have their human dignity to uphold.

Love you always, your Son. 


No comments:

Very Good Dry Pork Noodles (Bak Chor Mee) at Evans Road Food Centre

There is a small food centre ( Sprouts Food Place ) by the side of Botanic Gardens and the Swimming Pool, off Evans road and just before Clu...