Monday, May 27, 2019

Bistro du Vin 25 May 2019 - Michelin Bib Gourmand Singapore 2019




Last Saturday saw us triapsing to Bistrot du Vin at Shaw Centre to try some of their famous hearty French fare. We arrived at the Shaw House bistro before 7.30 and I managed to get a car park lot at the opposite Pacific Plaza Building which was a bonus. 


White Asparagus Class Mimosa


Light Mousseline Sauce (very refreshing !) 

For the starters we tried the White Asparagus with Light Mousseline Sauce which was in one word - fantastique - the asparagus was crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside and not at all bitter like those small asparagus shoots we get from the supermarket. The Mousseline sauce was very creamy (probably with alot of milk and butter inside) and was a great accompaniment to the asparagus. Excellent start to the meal.

I chose a glass of Granache which was a very mellow red wine to go with my main, which was the Beef Cheek (see below). 



Beef Cheek 
Joue de boef - Beef Cheek 

The wait staff were very professional and friendly, the seating was in a common hall and the specials were written in chalk on a huge blackboard at the top of the restaurant. I selected the Beef cheek, which is a specialty of the bistro while my wife May ordered the mixed stew of sea bass, golden snapper, prawn and squid. She gave it  a "thumbs up" and it was full of flavour.  



Bariilabaisse (mixed stew) of sea bass, golden snapper, prawns and squid 

The mixed stew was hearty and flavourful, she was impressed by the rather large pot and the servings were ample for 1 person. The flavour of the stew is strong and reminded me of the similar types of hearty stews when we went to Nice France last December. 

The beef cheek was really tender, it practically took no effort to cut through the beef and it was layered with a thick robust tasting sauce which reminded me of Bovril (?). The mashed potatoes were so tender and almost milky, I avoided it owing to my high cholesterol condition. Garnishing of chopped small parsely and carrots made the gravy so tasty. The beef cheek was a winner for me.  




Roasted Loire Pigeon with Girolettes and wild asparagus 

My elder son had the pigeon with girolettes (I guess some mushrooms) and wild asparagus and he found it rather gamey with a strong flavour much like pheasant. I tried it and it tasted lovely as I like strong tasting food. Goose Liver, cheese aged 36 months, etc all I do fancy and I would eat these more often, only if I had't my cholesterol to manage. That is Life, some wonderful tasting things are forbidden and I have to respect that.

My younger son had the Steak Frittes Oconnot Beef (marbelling 4) medium and was not too enthused ; it was rather ordinary. 

All in all a nice hearty meal for 4 , I will not give a review here as only those who are into French food and all its richness will truly appreciate trying the Bistro du Vin coupled with a nice Boujalais,  two or three.   

BISTRO DU VIN
1 Scotts Road (entrance by side of Shaw Centre)
#01-14
Singapore 228208 

No comments:

Very Good Dry Pork Noodles (Bak Chor Mee) at Evans Road Food Centre

There is a small food centre ( Sprouts Food Place ) by the side of Botanic Gardens and the Swimming Pool, off Evans road and just before Clu...