Sunday, July 10, 2022

My Newest Hobby - Drone Flying



I bought my first drone about a month back. This is in anticipation for my annual holiday with my wife May to Greece and Italy. Drone photos and videos enhance the enjoyment of the trip, and I have been dilligently practising the flight of this 4 propellered device, much to my heart's content.

The only other time I can recall when I tried to fly a model airplane was when I was in Primary 6, this was probably in 1974. My father, Geoffrey, had bought this lovely petrol Spitfire model which came with its own landyard and I didint dare to fly in in the park near my house in Adis Road. Along came this brave and foolhardy friend of mine called Percy (he has now since migrated to Australia) and between the both of us, managed to get the propeller fired up, and with Percy at the reins, he got the plane up for approximately 6 seconds, before it crashed and broke into 3 pieces in the field near my house. So much disappointment 48 years ago and I still remembered the look on his and my face - to this day.

Fast forward to 2022, and I am now  the pilot of my own 249 g drone. The brand is DJI and there are regulations requiring drone owners to register their aircraft if they are of a certain weight category (250 g and more). So my DJI mini 2 just falls under the radar and I am a 'happy camper' just playing with the controls every 2 - 3 days to my hearts content  and I am transported back to the day when I am a schoolboy all of 12 years old in 1974 !






 

No comments: