Saturday, September 4, 2010

Dedicated to my father, Geoffrey Abisheganaden


My father Geoffrey Abisheganaden's 88th birthday in 2007

Life, as I know it, is unpredictable, fragile, at times producing moments of sadness,anxiety,anger,grief,joy,happiness,gloriousness and satisfaction. As I manage as best as I can with my father's frail health, I am reminded of the good works he has done over the last 40 years. He was sitting on the Board of Governors of Saint Andrew's School, Saint Andrews Junior College, President of the National University Society (Alumnus Club) for 3 years, Management Committe Board of Singapore Swimming Club as well as a dedicated member of the St Andrew's Cathedral Church Choir where he sang and worshipped faithfully for all his adult life.

He was talented too, blessed with a rich baritone voice and he made many singing appearences in public at the Singapore Conference Hall, the Victoria Theatre and sang at practically all the family gatherings where he would perform a solo. During my wedding, he sang forcefully and beautifully at both the church service and the wedding dinner. His forte would be singing the Italian operas and he would spend endless hours practising his craft and gift to the awe and delight of his family members and us of course. A dedicated Christian, he game much money and his time to the Church and the Bible House, among others and was ready to help fight cases of the poor people 'pro bono' (without fees).

Running his own successful law firm called Abisheganaden and Company we saw him mainly in the evenings and he would always spend time with my brother and I bringing us to the park and I remember the unforgettable incident when I fell down a series of steps in 1968 (6 years old), I had a gash on my forehead and my father (or Papa as we call him) rushed down upon hearing my screams, called out to his house tenant, Ken Omuri and sped all the way to the Singapore General Hospital. His best friend was the famous surgeon, Professor Yahya Cohen. Upon arriving at the SGH Accident and Emergency Department, he shouted to the nurse that he wanted to see Yahya Cohen.The nurse told him sarcastically that even the Prime Minister of Singapore needed an appointment to see Yahya Cohen. My father, created a big scene by shouting and insisting for Yahya Cohen and told her to mention his name. Prof Cohen came running straight away, gave me an assessment ( I was sobbing but lucid I recall) and then proceeding to get the nurses to wheel me into the operating thearter. After cleaning the wound, they applied local anaesthesia and I witnessed first hand how the famous surgeon stitched me up. I was actually concious and able to observe the entire head stitching operation ! What an experience, to witness an operation and from the top surgeon in all of Sinagpore !

Prof. Cohen did not charge his fees, and after settling the hospital charges, I was driven home to attend a 'welcome back' party by all my neighbours. There were around 20 - 30 people, mainly neighbours and my stitch was covered by a brown patch of putty like substance resembling mud. My father stood back quietly allowing me to bask in the 'limelight'.


Chinese New Year eve Reunion Dinner at my house in 2005, my Dad was 85 and still very engaged in things around him

I owe my father many things, such as a privileged childhood,thanks to his success as a lawyer. Thanks of course to my mother too for managing the household finances well for us to enjoy travelling and visiting foreign countries at an early age of 10. The incident above stands out as one of the pivotal or most memorable moments which my Papa 'saved my skin'.

Thank you Papa. May God Bless you richly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, what a beautiful story... only we, the family can all relate to this story.

paul said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. Your father was my good friend. I met him in Singapore several times and also in london. On one occasion I borrowed a book from him and he wanted me to forward the book to a friend in Hawai I think. I do remember how the book connected me to another wonderful person. Geoffrey was a great man and his story is a most fascinating example of how God directs our lives and unfolds destiny.

Dr.Paul C. Salins
Bangalore, INDIA

Syahirah said...

Dear Mark,

I am writing from Peddling Pictures (https://www.facebook.com/peddlingpictures), a TV production company based in Singapore. Hope you're well, especially amidst this changing COVID-19 situation.

I'd like to get in touch with regards to your memories of your father and his work for an upcoming documentary series we are producing. Do let me know how best I can share details of the project. Thank you for considering my request.


Best,
Syahirah
syahirah[a]peddlingpictures.com

Audrey said...

Dear Mark I wanted you to know that my memoir and family history (tracing back to 18th Century India) mentions your father Geoffrey- who sang at my parents’ wedding in UK back in 1949! My mother Esme was friends with Esther, Geoffrey, Alex and the rest of their siblings. Our grandfathers were good friends dating back to 1930s Singapore. My book will be published in November i& I’d like to send you a copy. Please advise how I can do this. Audrey Osler a.h.osler@leeds.ac.uk

Audrey said...

https://www.virago.co.uk/titles/audrey-osler-5/where-are-you-from-no-where-are-you-really-from/9780349014623/