Tuesday, September 7, 2010

This Perfect Day - 7th Sept 2010


My mother Anna, my niece Hannah and my Dad Geoffrey

My father has been warded for about 12 days now, and since he has been in the hospital, he has been calling for my mother. She herself had been in hospital for 3 over weeks following surgery and rehabilitation and only today, my brother and I managed to get her to the hospital to see my father. My Mum needs help walking, so we wheeled her in my car this morning, and together with my brother John, the domestic help Joanna, and John's daughter Hannah we went to see my father.

Geoffrey had been waiting for Mum for over 3 weeks and when she came home, he fell ill again with an eye infection. So my brother decided to immediately ward him and put him on a course of strong antibiotics. Everytime any family members came by, he would either ignore them, or was sleeping so we decided to cajole my Mum to go and visit him. Today, the weather was bright yet cool because of the night's rain. Temperatures were a pleasant 29 deg C in the morning.

When my Mum went there, we brought her up to see him and he managed to open his eyes to see "Ling', his term of endearment for my mother. After a few seconds, he recogised her and a wide smile broke out on his face. I did not see him smile for over a month now, so was very pleased.

Next, Hannah, his favourite grandchild, called out to him in her piercing voice "Grandpa" and again he broke out into another wide smile. Everybody in the room, my Mum, John, Hannah, me and Joanna were laughing and so happy to see my father in so happy a mood. He was talking to Joanna and when she asked him if he was in pain, he said "No". He is still in a very frail state so we are all praying for his recovery and health.

It was indeed a wonderfully perfect day for me.

No comments: