Sunday, September 26, 2010

Farewell to my Father 20 - 22nd Sept 2010

                                             My father with President S.R.Nathan in 2002

       My father, Geoffrey Abisheganaden passed away at 9 :58 am on Monday 20th September 2010. A staunch Christian, he was called to the Lord's House after serving many years in St. Andrew's Cathedral Church Choir, the Synod, Diocese of Singapore, past Chairman of the Board of Governors for St. Andrew's School, past Chairman of the Board of Governors at St. Andrew's Junior College, Past President of National University Society (NUS Alumni) from 1967 - 70, on the board for the Singapore Bible Society, the YMCA, Legal adviser to Singapore Swimming Club and a host of many other clubs and societies which my brother and I are slowly coming to to realise.

     What a legacy my father left behind for my brother and myself to follow and teach our children. At his wake on 20th, and 21st Sept and at the St.Andrew's Church Service at 4pm on 22nd September, there were hundreds of people from all walks of life from the ordinary people he had coffee with in the 1950s and 60s to many prominent lawyers, doctors and business people who came to pay their respects.

      I am indeed very touched and indebted to the outpouring of respect and love to all who turned up at the wake and service of my father's funeral and there were many of John's (my brother) and my friends who spent time with us. Thanking all of you. In particular,  I wish to thank :

a) Saint Andrew's Cathedral, Canon Louis Tay for conducting both the service at the wake, at the
    Church Service and at the Mandai Columbarium

b) St. Andrew's Junior College and School who sent a Prefects Guard of Honour (of boys and girls)
    and Mrs. Belinda Charles (principal of St. Andrew's School) for her touching speech in Church

c)  Ms. Joanna Paul, an accomplished organist based in London who graciously played at both the wake
     service and in the Church

d) Deaconess Judy Teo who so professionally arranged all service matters in the funeral parlor and in
    Church

e) our 'godbrothers' Ramani Muniyandi and David Mitchell who did alot of the legwork in coordinating
    all necessary details like the booking of the Casket Company funeral room, to columbarium time slot
    booking and all transport details.

   I leave with this verse from the Bible which is so applicable to my father's life :

" I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race and I have kept the faith " 2 Timothy 4 : 7.

   Geoffrey Abisheganaden, indeed was a faithful servant of God.  He was truly an inspirational man, my father.

3 comments:

Sivasothi said...

Dear Mark, my condolences. From a St. Andrew's old boy. Did not know him personally but he was one of the old guard whom we young students then knew about as a solid fixture in the school who contributed to the family feeling in St. Andrew's and make it special place for us.

Seize the Day said...

Thank you Sivasothi,
From one Saint to another Saint :

"May the flame burn brightly ever"

Unknown said...

Dear Mark
I would like to express my condolence to you on the demise of your dad. I was in Seoul when I received news from my secretary that Mr Geoffrey Abisheganaden had gone to be with the Lord. Some of my colleagues together with Dr Bobby Sng the president of the Bible Society were at the funeral.

Your dad was a long time member of the executive committee of the Bible Society of Singapore. We thank God for his contribution to the Bible movement.

Lim K Tham
General Secretary, Bible Society of Singapore