Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A funny true story involving Papa and my son


Grandpa Geoffrey and grandson Noel

This was a funny story related to me by my father, some 14 years ago. We were staying at the condominium called Le Marque at Keng Chin Road, where our first son Noel in the picture had his first walking steps,swimming and other fun stuff made possible by his doting grandparents. My father is very fond of Noel, and he used to take my son out for walks in his pram around the condominium and the surrounding estate. This was in 1996, so imagine there were alot less cars on the road, and the first housing bubble was only just beginning. Now, my mother is Chinese and so I am half Indian. My son is thus 3/4 Chinese and 1/4 Indian - technically speaking.


Noel when he was 5 - 6 months old

One day, my mother was busy with an errand, so my father took Noel out of the condominium for a walk, and Noel was about 1 and a half years old. They were walking along the 5 foot way towards the neighbouring condominium where the kind guard allowed them to play in the large open garden. On the way there, my Dad was stopped by a Chinese lady who asked him some strange questions, like "where are you taking this child". After some puzzlement, my Dad replied that Noel was in fact his grandchild, did the lady make some connection. You see, my father is dark skinned, and my son is well, very fair. (See pictures above).

So he told me later that evening that someone actually thought that he was 'kidnapping' my son ! We had a good laugh afterwards. True Story.

No comments: