Monday, November 7, 2011

Dire Straits Local Hero



      One of the best rock guitar solos I've heard in a long time. About 2 months ago, I bought a Yamaha keyboards and have been tinkling away at the keys everyday for about and hour to two. The funny thing about my life, when I was a boy (many many years ago), I hated playing the piano. My parents signed me up with a good classical piano tuition teacher, Mrs. Magdelene Leong and her lessons were held every week at her home n Butterfly Avenue. I was made to practice scales, arpegios and a whole range of songs from Beethoven,  Mozart, Scarletti and Franz Lizt.  I initially  enjoyed the piano lessons and advanced up to a pass in Grade 7. I prepared for Grade 8, but lack of interest (I thought, foolishly at that time that piano was for sissies) and other activities made me give up - right at the last hurdle !!

     So, as one can see, I have in the last decade plus, have made amends, first taking up my first sport I truly enjoy and love, running. Secondly I redid my karate training from scratch and now an active member of a karate dojo in Tanglin Singapore. Thirdly, I am  now rediscovering my musical interest and really love playing the keyboards a number of songs from Christmas Carols, School Songs, Popular Songs and maybe some current love songs. I don't see the need to take my Grade 8 (complete music level) exam, unless I intend to pursue a songwriting or musical career, but I am completely satisfied with the path I have chosen thus far. I thank my parents for giving me the opportunity for the first 7 years of piano playing under a strict and excellent teacher, and my buddy Roland Teo, who has a band and I have my motivation to practice all kinds of Rock songs from Beatles to the Rolling Stones to Taiwanese songs created by Roland.

      Life is not about accumulation of money and power.  I humbly suggest everyone reading this post to assess what life is to you and take the first step to achieving that goal. You will find immense satisfaction once you have started along your path.

     Seize the Day    

No comments: