Monday, December 26, 2016

Goodbye George Michael ; another star of our youth snuffed out


The pretty boys of Wham ; Andrew Ridgely and George Michael

    On Christmas Day 2016, the pop world was shocked by another celebrity death, George Michael, who was one half of the group Wham !, he was 53. He died in his home in Oxfordshire UK due to heart failure. Once again, the music world is showing its fraility. Many of our icons and influencers in the world of music, big screen, football of the 70s, 80s and even 90s are no more. David Bowie,Natalie Cole, Alan Rickman,Prince, Johann Cryuff and now George Michael just to name a few.   

     When I was in my late teens and early 20s, the pop duo Wham ! came onto the scene with a big bang. Music and pop, the likes of Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Elton John, Wang Chung, the Communards, and of course Wham ! dominated the party music scene. 

     Every lounge in Singapore, including the Chinese ones, had the opening raunchy saxophone strain of  " Careless Whisper" tune. Every Ah Beng could sing this song, it was that pervasive. George "the Greek" Michael the lead singer of Wham duo and it melted every schoolgirl's heart. Unfortunately he batted for the other side, and declared he was gay in the 90s.  

    I listened to Wham's music, and followed and bought his album's after Wham broke up. They played catchy tunes full of lovey dovey stuff, but the tunes were the big draw. George was a natural talent, and while he had his share of brushes with the law, the fans loved the music.

    The Whamsongs which I listened to, during my young 'salad days', during the National Service and the early 20s as an undergraduate we :

a) Wake me Up before you Go Go
b) Wham 
c) Careless Whisper
d) Last Christmas

As a solo artiste, George also hit paydirt with songs like Freedom,Faith, Jesus to a Child, and the side B song which I absolutely loved, One More Try. I sang it for weeks in my car. It just had a side to it which connected with me. I don't know why or what it was but the lyrics were so gripping


Everything She Wants Video 


Goodbye George Michael. This was your Last Christmas.    

No comments: