Monday, December 26, 2016

The First Years 4 - Anna


          My Mum Anna Wen was a Girl Guide Leader in the late 40s and 50s.

       My mother, Anna Abisheganaden (nee Wen) was born in Hong Kong in 1930. My maternal grandfather, P.C. Wen was a wealthy official under the then HK Government. My grandmother (Po Po), was from Guangzhou and I only know a little about my Ah Gong and some more about my Po Po. That is kept for a later blog post.

      Anna Wen was a civil servant in the Ministry of Health. She worked (I think) at least over 40 years with her last appointment being the PA to the Perm Secretary, Dr. Kwa Soon Bee.
After coming to Singapore, she was very active in the Girl Guides, and even met with Prince Philip (Queen Elizabeth II husband) at the Padang. She was a strong leader and a firm but wonderful mother to me and my brother John.

               
  
My mother introducing her Girl Guide Troop to a VIP

      Since I could remember, she was always very giving and spending alot on my childhood development. I had a large head upon birth, she and my father, Geoffrey, brought me to see a pediatrician to assess if I had a problem. In the 1960s, many people were out of work, housing was mainly old dilapidated shophouses many not repaired since the Japanese occupation,basic sanitation and hygiene were major issues, the streets were filled with gangsters and there were triads from the major ethnic groups, Indian, Chinese and even Malay.

      Fortunately, the doctor said I was OK, and let nature take its course. I had the luxury of receiving good dental treatment from the Institute of Dental Health and medical services from the SGH as well as from good friends like Dr. Long (my father's good friend, below picture), a dentist whose practice was along Middle Road.
Anna with Dr. Long
    
A funny anecdote in my later years was this, my Dad took me to see Dr. Long, and I always hated the dental visits, so hardly bothered to brush my teeth regularly, he scraped out some white stuff and showed it to my father who blurted " Mark must have eated some candy beforehand ! "



                                             Anna with her then boss Moses Chew

My Mum was a typical Cantonese lady, very gregarious and full of vigour. She was very active after work, and when we reached the age of around 10, decided to join the Singapore Swimming Club whereby she took to going there every day of the week, perhaps with the exception of Saturday and Wednesday (as I recall). She was an avid swimmer, took part (at verious stages in her life) in badminton, tennis, kong chian, jazz ballet.

   My recollection in the 70s (in later posts) she encouraged her younger sister Mona and brother in law Phoon to join also as members. Our entire families had many nights there after school (for us) and work (for them) having fish and chip dinners, watching movie night at the far end of the clun and the annual Dinner and Dances.

    Truly a wonderful time.    


     

No comments:

Very Good Dry Pork Noodles (Bak Chor Mee) at Evans Road Food Centre

There is a small food centre ( Sprouts Food Place ) by the side of Botanic Gardens and the Swimming Pool, off Evans road and just before Clu...