Monday, December 26, 2016

The First Years 5 - Family of 3


This was taken in 1963 somewhere in East Coast ; our family car in the background

Before my brother John came into the picture, I was the little 'king' in the household. Not that I remembered much of it. There were parties in the garden of our bungalow, kids from the kindergarten, and the neighbourhood attended. My relatives from both sides (Dad and Mum) also attended. So, I was the 'star' then. This little brown boy. 

  

My family dog, Trixie

   We had a family dog then, called Trixie, a black coloured cocker spaniel. She was very gentle and playful. I don't recall much then except that we had 3 half breed dogs later when I was around 8 years of age.  My house was my 'castle' and all the neighbourhood kids came around to play outside (Mum rarely let them inside, except to munch on her much appreciated snacks).  My father I recall also sang "Summertime" (by Louis Armstrong) and I knew the lyrics of Tiger Tiger Burning bright ( I was born in the year of the Tiger)


Cousins Ja and Peter ; children of Alex and Eileen Abisheganaden

The Abisheganaden family, as most people recall, were a real musical bunch. Grandfather Arputhan was an Anglican pastor from India. He first set foot to South East Asia in Penang, before his calling took him to Singapore. My uncles, Paul, Felix, Alex, aunties Diana and Esther were all musically inclined. 

Uncle Paul, the eldest, was a principal, and he was the conductor at NUSS ensemble, as well as the choir at the 11am St Andrew's cathedral. Uncle Alex is a gifted guitarist, double bass player, as well as a piano player. My father was a tremendous baritone singer, having attained his LRSM from the Royal Academy of Music from the UK apart from being an accomplished lawer called to the bar at Grays Inn London.


Playing sandcastle building at East Coast

        The recollections of these early years are and were all joyous ones. Way before the East Coast Parkway (and the condominiums near Katong Park sprang up), the East Coast was called the East Coast because the coastline was just there. Grand houses (Mr. Chan Ah Kow and many others) lined the beach. 

       Days of play, attending kindergarten, more play, birthday parties, beach visits, visits to Mr. David Marshall's huge bungalow in Changi point. This was a time long long ago. 


    

No comments: