Monday, June 18, 2018

E 250 7 G Tronics My Review




This is the 2nd E Class that I have driven ; the first was the E 230 7 G Tronics 2008 model, which I had from 2012 till 2018, a full 6 years.

Mercedes has outdone itself once again, this is the 2014 model, and I took possession of this car 2nd hand (one previous owner) at the start of this year. My assessment these 6 months : par excellence.

The E 250 is frankly a joy to drive. it has 7 gears, uses the paddle shift gear handle (on the right hand side just like you would for your indicator light on the left hand side), is beautiful to look at, and at 207 BHP Turbo V 6 engine,is a beast on the road.

Acceleration is truly specacular and few cars except for the sports cars can match this beast. It also provides for very smooth gear changes as the responsiveness is so minute.

The 6 months since I took possession of this work of engineering art, I have had only 1 problem which was the standby battery for the start - stop ECO standby feature. This means that the car which is driven and come to a stop at any traffic lights or is at a standstill will turn off the engine rather than idle and waste petrol. This feature takes some getting used to as the start and stop on and off of the engine does give it a little less smooth takeoff, but the plus point is that the petrol I use is so low, I sometimes only need to pump petrol perhaps once every 8 - 10 days instead of the usual 5 days. 

Of course mileage does play a part in petrol consumption, but this feature is really about saving consumable costs like petrol and I am all for it. The previous E 230 had a more 'classic' look (I wouldn't mind getting a vintage E 230 down the road) but this E250 has kept me pretty happy.

Proximity left and right indicators at the front dashboard can be a hassle as even a motorcycle or scooter which weaves in and out near your car while stationary would give a loud beeping sound. Why do you need to have this alarm when your car is stationary, and the vehicle in concern is moving at practically 5 km/hr and no threat to damage to the car ?? The front vehicle proximity warning light is also another needless add on in my opinion.

The reading lights on left, right and back are neat, as is the blue infinity light whenever you open any of the side doors to indicate to oncoming traffic about the open door.

The auto closing trunk is cool, but again, another useless feature.         

I truly enjoy the ride ; I've had a total of 8 cars and this definately ranks at No. 1  

No comments: