Sunday, February 17, 2019

My Goldfish in my Water Feature live in a Separate Universe to Me.

Here are 4 happy goldfish taken today. I have got them for over 3 weeks and I have learnt a lot about rearing goldfish in the past. There are many factors which will lead to their early demise, so I have alot of pain and heartache in the past, especially when the water in the water feature turns acidic or some disease wipes them out. 

So 3 weeks ago I bought my first pair of goldfish, and so far so good. The thing is that the weather has been very hot and we have no t had much rain. Rain is likely to be acidic in nature, and hence will disrupt the alkalinity in the pool. Before putting the fish in the outdoor pool, I had conditioned the water with lots of salt as well as with an anti-chlorine solution which normally affects ornamental fish.





Once that was done, I also have ensured that there is enough air (ie. bubbles) circulating the pool and that whenever we clean the pool, we do not use any soap or cleaning solution. The fish have led a happy existence, so far, only eating 6 pellets a day (we control their diet very strictly) as well as changing the water only once every 2 weeks or so, ensuring that 2 - 3 pails or about 1/3 of the water is reused.

Chlorine, alkalinity and acidity all lead to problems and may eventually kill the fish.

But as goldfish, they lead a very happy existence, playing with one another, exploring the length and depth of the pool and keeping all those who observe their existence quite happy.

Its as if they live in their small universe and we humans in ours. 

There is hardly any interaction between them and us. If they are happy and lively, so am I. 


No comments: