Monday, August 9, 2021

World's Best Sushi - Kyubey Keio Plaza (6 F) Shinjuku Japan ) Oct 2014

 



The rather unpretentious sign outside Keio Plaza on the 7th Floor (Kyubey entrance) 

I am a rather easy going eater. Though my wife is the connoisseur of the of the family, I am the lucky recipient of her fussy tastes. This trip some years ago to Tokyo, Japan brings back wonderful memories of our little dining escapades in October 2014.

I did some days of research and it is no wonder that Tokyo, is the epicentre of GREAT sushi (no wonder, the country of origin must have the best and most tasty, right ? Like Portuguese Egg Tarts are best in Madrid, and the Shanghai Xiao Long Bao tastes wonderful in where else, Shanghai.)     

We happened to stay in the Shinjuku district and I tried unsuccessfully to contact the restaurant. On the day we arrived, I recall, after checking into our hotel room, it was a drizzly autumn evening and I said, "lets go and try our luck".

So using the omnipresent Google Maps to guide us, we walked some 3 blocks to the nearby 5 star  Keio Hotel and went to the 6th Floor. The lift landing led us out to the courtyand and on the left there was the rather plain looking sign stating "Sushi" in English and Japanese. I guess when your restaurant is world famous, you do not need much marketing and snazzy signs or even advertisements via Google, FB. The influencers will do all the marketing for the restaurant or eating establishment !

I went up to the front counter and in my broken Japanese enquired whether they had any dining as we had come all the way from Singapore to try the world famous Kyubey sushi !
(Their Michelin starred restaurant is located in Ginza business district and this is one of their branches in Shinjuku district).

Much to my surprise they said, "Hai !, but no sushi counter table, only dining table'. Beggers cant be choosers and we were motioned to a small table for 2 near the entrance.
 


                   The Omakase Sushi Set is as shown above - 'Sensational' !  

I have never tasted better sushi before or ever since 

We ordered the Omakase Sushi Plate (Chef's special at his discretion), what you see above.
Oh my word ! One bite and I knew that this was sushi heaven. The taste of the incredibly fresh fish, the tuna, yellow tail, tuna belly octopus, Uni (sea anemone) was indescribable. The wasabi was garnished straight from the root, the light soya sauce and the ginger garnishing were all perfect.

Fresh from the sushi master's hands the taste was to me, something like Manna (food from heaven). The warmth of the sushi after being squeezed and formed just right still resonates in my conciousness. I was chuffed ! Stunned into sushi bliss.    

Whatever little reservations I had about making the effort to get to Kyubey were all thrown out the window. 


The sashimi was another masterpiece 

The sashimi and the grilled Yakitori were also truly exceptional. I recall having a nice warm Sake to dissipate my jet lag (7 hours from S'pore) and my satisfied blissful picture shows me at the point - in sushi heaven.


            Grilled Cod with Japanese Sweet Sauce and Garnishing 





If you are ever in Tokyo, MUST TRY Kyubey - do let me know your opinion ! 



No comments:

Very Good Dry Pork Noodles (Bak Chor Mee) at Evans Road Food Centre

There is a small food centre ( Sprouts Food Place ) by the side of Botanic Gardens and the Swimming Pool, off Evans road and just before Clu...