Monday, May 29, 2023

I wish to grow old gracefully - if given the chance.

If there is one big wish I have, as I approach old age (to me that would be 80 years old).is that I would like to have for as long as possible, and in the due process, I wish that I can have the following 'abilities' which we take for granted when we are young (say from early childhood till 60).  

a) mobility, balance and endurance

b) have as clear a mind as possible (memory, cognitive function,direction,visual acuity) 

c) have all my hair   (LOL)

d) keep trim.  

e) can go to the toilet unaided

f) have a good night's sleep.

g) have a good appetite.

I see many people every day in the HDB estate nearby my office. Many are on mobile wheelchairs, some are bent and cannot stand straight and may be with or without their helpers or maids. The sight is getting very common in practically every Government and private housing estate.

We are a rapidly aging society. That is a fact. 

Singapore has one of the lowest total fertility rate or reproducing rate in the world, for every couple, our reproducing rate is 1.05 per every woman adult. Men cannot reproduce, hence only the women matter (of course I am joking !). 

While all the above 7 are deemed as normal processes of a working body, with each passing year, these 7 seem to be harder and harder to attain and maintain.

I pray that the longer I remain on this Earth, the wiser I get and the more patient I am of other people and less demanding on myself.






No comments: