Tuesday, October 6, 2015

How to Live to be 100 Years Young ? Keep mentally and physically Active.


                                                  My Uncle N. Vaithinathan turned 100 in August 
                                        (Center picture with my brother John and his family)

My uncle Vaithinathan turned 100 recently, and the family of whom he married my father's younger sister Esther Abisheganaden, had a big dinner to celebrate it with about 60 of his closest family and friends. It was held at the NUSS Guild House and true to his humble nature, he was his ascerbic self.

A very humble and devout man, my uncle Vaithi and my aunt Esther are the perfect couple soulmates, so to speak. They were teenage lovebirds and he was formerly the principal of Tanjung Katong Primary school. He retired at age 55, then studied law (!) and practised for 17 years. At 73, he took up linguistics and learnt and is still studying to this day ! He is a master of 5 languages, and never lost his faculties or wit as was apparent on the day of his birthday. He was known to bother his grandchildren about the intricacies of the computer usage, and the various types of Microsoft Office software, something I am ashamed to say I am lagging in that department.

He also would take daily 5km walks and is an avowed non smoker. He does drink the occasional whisky I believe. The secret to his logevity ? Keeping mentally and physically active and interact with as many young people as possible. Be needed by the community.

We are indeed blessed to be part of his family, and wish him many many more years of good health and joy.

  

No comments: