Sunday, November 22, 2015

My swimming club days

Singapore Swimming Club today ; taken at the height of the haze period in October 2015

My swimming days were from late 1973 till 1979 and I will admit that I am a decent swimmer, but a much better runner than a swimmer. My parents joined the Singapore Swimming Club (SSC) around 1973 with my Mum, Anna being very keen on all the activities there, taking part in swimming, kong chian, badminton (her true sporting love), jogging, tai chi, and even tennis. Her routine was to go after her work around 5.30 pm to the "Club" at Fort Road and stay till about 8ish. My brother and I would make our way there from afternoon school.

I remember taking a lift from my father's chief clerk, in his Nissan Sunny who would drop me at the Club in time for me to do my training in the competition pools from 5.45 to 7.15 pm. I would do this 3 times a week, and on Saturdays, my Mum would fetch us for Sat morning swimming. Sundays was special as we would have "Inter - team" and water-polo after our training.

We all looked forward to Sundays.   

We trained swimming under the head coach of Mr. Neo Chwee Kok, who was Singapore's Flying Fish (aptly nicknamed) as he took part in the 1960 Rome Olympic Games. Sadly, Mr. Neo passed on in the late 90s in his mid 50s. 



L to R : My brother, me, cousin Angela and Wendy at SSC

My speciality was breast-stroke and although did decent timings enough to represent the club, my House in school and even Junior College and University, I would not say I was national material.

My Dad Geoffrey became a Management Committee member, with under the stewardship of Mr. Cheong Boo Hong (President) and Mr. Henry Chan during the 70s and 80s. He was not really active in sports, with the odd squash game and tennis. 

My mother, Anna, Prof Chau Si Ching (chief pathologist at SGH) and my father, Geoffrey


My mother became a household name at the Club and we had the privilege of taking part in numerous swimming competitions in Singapore, and within the region from 1974 - 1978.
In 1974, we went to Penang to compete with the Ikan Billis Swiming Club. In 1975, we went to Thailand for the Sanya Samaki Swimming Meet held in Bangkok, In 1976 it was Manila, (Philippines) and 1977 it was Jakarta, Indonesia.

All these swim meets in Sout East Asian countries opened my then young eyes to the region in the mid to late 70s. 

I will post more of those photos in later posts.    
   

No comments: