Sunday, November 22, 2015

The struggle to finish a Marathon is personal for me

Saturday 21st training run at ECP with running buddy Timothy
It was not easy run   

     Yesterday I made time to run a first 20K this whole year. At age 52 going on 53, the long runs are not getting any easier for me. However, I take inspiration from those middle aged athletes who struggle through their daily lives (like me) and then go on to hit the roads in their pursuit of their hobby or true 'love'

    For me, running presents the most personal challenge to me. The open road, the heat of the day, the ache in my muscles and bones, and the wind blowing in my face. It is a truly emotional and almost spiritual experience when one is in full focus of the run. I have been practising my 'craft' for 15 years and this year will be my 10th Full Marathon.

   I think about the work, my family, friends, anything which makes me happy or unhappy, I reveiw during the run. It is like I am taking a step outside of myself to see things in life in a detached way, I cannot describe it as an 'out of body experience' but its more like in a state of calmness and detachment looking at the events which unfolded or have yet to take place.

   Can I change things ? No, but I can view events calmly and evaluate all solutions. For when there is that calmness of thought, like during my run, I can see things clearly and without much
emotion. That for me, is the most priceless thing to me. 


No comments: